Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to line a shed ceiling?

ypeterson013
Just Starting Out

How to line a shed ceiling?

Can I use 3mm plywood sheets to line a shed ceiling?

The shed is waterproof.

There are exposed beams at 550mm apart and battens are at 900mm apart.

I don't want to line with plasterboard as it is too heavy to manage on my own.

Thanks

Yvonne

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Can I use 3mm plywood sheets to line a shed ceiling?

Hi @ypeterson013

Yes 3mm  ply in a waterproof  shed  is  great and it will provide some insulation properties to,

While you pondering you shed consider in some areas of you shed you can use some 10 ply  and  make a tool wall and screw in mounting brackets for tool racks and the like directly into the ply.  where as 3 mm wont hold as well.  

But I hear  you  re weight issue  and respect you possible limitations.

Enjoy your new  shed :smile: 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to line a shed ceiling?

Hello @ypeterson013 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about lining your shed ceiling.

Would it be possible for you post a photo of your shed ceiling? This will give our members a chance to assess the ceiling assembly. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed. 

My only worry about putting in plywood is that there might not be enough support for it framewise. Using the 3mm Plywood should work well, but if there is not enough support it might bow downwards. If there is a way to anchor it to the 550 beams and the 900mm battens, then it should be well supported. 

While you are lining your shed ceiling, I propose thinking about installing roofing insulation in order to cool off your shed. 

Since you'll be using a ladder, I suggest having a look at this guide - How to use ladders safely by @Adam_W.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects