Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang 6ft punching bag?

lololiam
Finding My Feet

How to hang 6ft punching bag?

Hi all,

I have a Thai Kickboxing bag as shown here: https://www.fairtexaustralia.com.au/~4963617,

with the intention to hang it from one of the beams in the garage. I asked my neighbour (he built the house) and he said it would hold up easy.

My original plan was to hang a rope/chain/strap over the beam, but upon further inspection, there isn't actually space above the beam to loop anything over.

Since then I got a beam hook which has a spring, then a chain (the chain has actually been cut to only one link + hook/swivel to reach the desired height) which goes from the spring to the bag (pictures at bottom).

I believe they are these:

https://www.stingsports.com.au/products/heavy-duty-punch-bag-beam-hook?variant=39780180099236

https://www.stingsports.com.au/collections/hooks-chains/products/installation-chain-and-swivel?varia...

We had a tradie install the beam hook today and help hang the bag, but upon trying it out I'm a bit worried as the beam moves a bit (the bottom of the 'c' at least), even from moderate jabs. According to the website the bag is 60kg as I ordered it pre-filled but I have a feeling it might be lighter - I can weigh it if necessary. I'm only ~70kg so not a monster but I have some experience so can definitely put some power into the bag and jolt/swing it around a bit.

The tradie is coming back and I can ask him what he thinks as well but I wanted some more advice, basically will this be OK in the longterm? I obviously don't want to do any damage to my garage. If not, are there any alternative methods - this was probably the best spot in my house to hang it.

Thanks in advance - any advice would be great! have had the bag sitting in the garage for a while just waiting to be used.

Liam

20221019_112056.jpg20221019_112809.jpg20221019_112824.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hanging 6ft Punching Bag

Hello @lololiam

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your kickboxing bag.

Having all the weight of the bag at the bottom of the C channel is not ideal. A single kick from an adult generates 450kg of force, even more from a well-trained fighter. In order to spread out the load, I suggest placing timber bracing inside the C channel. The timber piece can then be bolted to the side of the C channel. This will handle the shearing forces applied to the bag. 

To handle the vertical weight of the bag, I suggest drilling through the timber and bolting it from the bottom. This will effectively transfer the load to the timber which will then spread evenly through the C channel. I've placed a diagram below to give you an idea of how to mount it. 

I suggest using Zenith M10 Hot Dipped Galvanised Hex Head Bolt And Nut in the appropriate length to support the timber on the side of the C Channel.

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @Joe Azza for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.   

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @lololiam , I agree with EricL's suggestion....  only more so. 

By that I mean use a longer length of timber in the C channel since it is not just the static weight load that has to be accounted for but the dynamic forces that affect the beam when the bag is punched.  It will be better absorbed by timber which can flex and recover, than by steel which can flex and develop cracks. A longer length of timber will provide more mass to absorb the dynamic forces and pass less shock into the steel channel.  (1200 - 1800mm)

Hi @TedBear and @EricL ,

Thank you so much for the prompt advice!

Good to know that I wasn't worried over nothing and also that there is still a way to save the situation haha.

The suggestions make sense but I may reply again if I have any further questions closer to starting work on it.

Thanks again for the help and friendly welcome,

Liam

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects