Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a garage wall leak?

ge
Just Starting Out

How to fix a garage wall leak?

Hi everyone,

I am a new house owner and learning the ins and outs of home repair. With the rain last night, I noticed a significant leak coming from the base of the cement garage wall which is running toward the back of the garage instead of out the front due to a little rise in the cement (I’m assuming to prevent water flowing in from the garage opening). I am not sure if it is as simple as getting something to plug the hole to stop it coming in or if that would lead to further issues within the wall itself. Has the water flow  created the hole in the first place and worn the cement away? I have attached a photo showing the little crack/hole and the water flowing from there. It’s probably a few centimetres wide. Any help would be very much appreciated!

BD9A93B4-4AD4-49FE-BE92-CB348C3D1265.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a garage wall leak?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ge. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fixing a leaky garage.

Congrats on the purchase of your new home!

Trouble-shooting this issue all starts with what's going on outside the wall. At a basic level, water shouldn't be at a height above your slab, so something is going on outside to allow this. Is the slab below the external ground level? If you could take some images of what is outside that corner, it would be really helpful in diagnosing the issue and providing solutions. 

Plugging the hole could temporarily stop water from entering the garage, but it won't resolve the issue of water entering the wall.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects