Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to find a chuck key?

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

How to find a chuck key?

Hi all.

Looking for a key to suit this Jacobs chuck. Tried one place without success and then looked at Bunnings online a few minutes ago.

It's a 6.5 mm chuck and the Craftright key details talk about fitting a 6mm chuck - but to my eyes the pins on all four sides look to be the same diameter?

I need a pin somewhere around 3 to 3.5mm in diameter by my reckoning.

Thanks.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/craftright-4-in-1-drill-chuck-key_p6330241

20231119_104221.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Chuck Key.

Hi @Noyade,

Your best bet might be to take the chuck into your local store and have the Tool Shop team member match it up for you. I believe the pin size is fairly universal, but there is a smaller and larger size. Whether the 6mm side will be large enough to suit the gearing I'm unsure and it might skip. The 10mm might engage enough to work, but the pin might be the larger size. I think it would be a case of trying out the one in-store.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Just back from Bunnings, Mitchell.

Oddly I was told that Craftright 4 in 1 key is a special order - "we do not stock it."

I could probably order it - but I'm dubious about one of those pins being 3mm

Their other suggestion was to try Total Tools.

I did try the Bunnings online conversation -

Sim.PNG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade,

I'm so sorry. It didn't twig that you said the pin needed to be 3mm. So, that's really small. Is this like a hobby-type chuck for fine drill bits? I've just had a team member in-store measure the pin for us on the craftright key, and they are all 6mm.

Mitchell

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

A bit more googling - and I've found better terminology - I think.

The dimension I'm after is the "Salient Point." Some sites also call it the Pilot dimension.

Salient.jpg

My salient point - as best I can measure, is around 3mm.

To illustrate how small this chuck is (maximum drill bit is 6.5mm)  - compare it to the 13mm chuck key with a salient point of 6mm...

20231119_152700.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I've checked our relevant suppliers and none appear to do a key with a salient point that small @Noyade.

Mitchell

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

I'm sorry Mitchell, I missed your post above.

I'm not following threads very well lately.

It will certainly not be the end of the world if I cannot locate a key - I'm just clearing out a lot of shed rubbish and 're-found' it.

The chuck belongs to an orthopaedic bone drill - no longer cutting edge technology....

Cheers and thanks for trying. 👍

20231119_154533.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Six weeks of pulling the shed apart (which had to happen anyway), there was a happy reunion yesterday. 😁

20231203_173843.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Glad to see you found it @Noyade.

Jason

Excellent @Noyade perseverance eventually pays off, had your search not been fruitful I note eBay has a plethora of such keys... this is why I never discard old chuck keys (keeping them with the drill bits),  recycling chucks off unrepairable cordless tools is worthwhile too👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects