Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Heavy duty garage shelving

jthurley
Getting Established

Heavy duty garage shelving

Hi, I am looking for something like this: https://www.bunnings.com.au/pinnacle-410-x-1140-x-515mm-wall-mount-storage-shelf_p2760334?store=2010

The problem is due to windows and doors the one fixed length isn't optimum. Any ideas?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Heavy duty garage shelving

Hello @jthurley 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about heavy duty garage shelving.

In order to give our members a better idea of the locations you are referring to, would it be possible for you to post a few photos of the area you were hoping to install heavy duty shelving? Once we see the photos, we'll be able to assess the area. We can then make recommendations on what you can use for your shelving.

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @jthurley,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community. Did you need a hand uploading some photos so our members can see what you are working with and provide some helpful suggestions?

I'd also recommend you check out the following articles for inspiration:

Thanks,

Jason

jthurley
Getting Established

Hi @EricL ,

Thank you for replying. I didn't realise I had a response already - the notification email had got stuck in my spam.

I've attached a few photos below.

Thanks,

Josh

Garage 5.jpgGarage 1.jpgGarage 2.jpgGarage 3.jpgGarage 4.jpg

jthurley
Getting Established

Hi @Jason,

Thanks, I've uploaded the photos in the response above. I had a look at your links but can't see anything that aligns with what I'm after.

Cheers,

Josh

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jthurley 

Thank you so much for posting photos of your garage. It looks like you've almost maximized your storage space in the garage. I take it that there is no more space to install a floor standing shelf around the car as it is the only walkway left? If that's the case, I suggest thinking about building custom timber shelving from 70 x 35mm Framing MGP10 Untreated Pine 2.4m.

It's not complicated to build, and you only need basic tools to assemble it. The best part is that you can re-use the MDF panels you currently have as the shelf surface. I suggest screwing the MDF panel to the timber frame to straighten it out. I've sketched up a basic layout to give you an idea of how it can be built. Please let me know what you think.

In regards to putting shelves above the garage door rails, I suggest just turning the timber shelf bracket frame upside down so that it does not get in the way of the garage door. The only other thing I can suggest is to lower or move your grey folding steel drying rack to the empty wall on the other side under the children's car seats are located so that you can add one more shelf in its former location.

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W, @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles, and a mask when building your shelves.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

jthurley
Getting Established

Thank you @EricL! I'll try to remember to upload some photos when done.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects