Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do you need to wash a new garage floor before laying epoxy?

LJ1
Finding My Feet

Do you need to wash a new garage floor before laying epoxy?

Hello. I am a new member to this community. We need help with our garage. We are planning to apply epoxy prior to moving. The garage is new. Do you think we need to pressure and acid clean it prior to applying? From the prep to the final coating, how many days is the process and curing time? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: epoxy project

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @LJ1. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about epoxy coating a garage floor.

You'll need to follow the directions provided with the paint you select, and typically, that includes cleaning and acid etching. Here's a helpful guide: How to apply epoxy to a garage floor

If you were to use the Dy-mark epoxy kit as shown in the guide above, then you etch the concrete and wait 72 hours for it to dry. If it passes the moisture test, you can move on to coating, but if not, it would be another 24 hours. The next day, you'll be coating. It could require one or two coats. You'll then need to allow 24-48hrs before light foot traffic. So, all up at a minimum, you'd be looking at at least four-five days from start to light foot traffic.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Would you kindly list the needed materials to buy for etching until final coating? 

Thank you

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @LJ1,

The materials are mentioned in the How To guide I linked above, but I'll include them here for your reference:

For tools you'll need:

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you

Final finish of the project. Very happy with the result. Thank you for your help. I just want to ask if it is needed to apply a top coat such as a gloss finish? What is needed and does it provides more non-slip?

1000032479.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @LJ1,

It looks great, you should be very proud of what you have accomplished.

While not 100% needed, a clear coat over your epoxy can add an additional layer of protection to the surface. You might like to check out Rust-Oleum Clear Gloss EpoxyShield Premium Concrete And Garage Coating as an option.

While it does not contain grit, it will still be a strong non-slip coating that should be perfectly fine on a flat surface.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects