Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you use Metal Shield Spray Paint on PVC?

Steve5
Having an Impact

Can you use Metal Shield Spray Paint on PVC?

Hi. I'm adding leaf eaters but want them to blend in with existing colorbond walls.  Can I use Metal Shield spray paint on PVC?  Thanks

https://www.bunnings.com.au/dulux-300g-metalshield-multipurpose-spray-paint-paperbark_p1400658

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Metal Shield Spray Paint on PVC?

Hi @Steve5 

The  paint you want  to spray on will work but can be chipped of fairly easy.

In the paint department the is a high grip undercoat that may give you a better surface to spray on too as I want to paint plastic down pipes.

Dulux claims this will stick to PVC too

Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat 1L I/N: 1370232  $49.90

Taken from Bunning website

• No sanding required on most surfaces
  • Superior adhesion
  • Mould resistant
  • Excellent coverage
  • Interior and exterior
Dulux 1Step Prep Water Based Primer, Sealer & Undercoat is your first step towards a superior, long-lasting paint finish. With mould resistance and stain blocking of tannin and flash rust, it ensures your interior or exterior paint shines now and into the future.
Use 1Step Prep for all general paint surfaces in your home including interior and exterior walls, ceilings, doors, windows, trim, and especially in kitchens, bathrooms and outside areas where mould could be a problem.
Apply it confidently to most surfaces including brick, masonry, paper-faced plasterboard, timber, MDF, render, concrete, cement sheet, galvanised iron, Zincalume steel, PVC and previously painted surfaces.

Hi,  Thanks for info, I wondered about roughing up the surfaces but this looks like it solves the issue.  

hi @Steve5

A little bit of a rough up never hurts  either with sand  paper micro scratchs 

good idea

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Steve5 

I suggest having a look at this discussion - How to paint PVC downpipes? by @sachinriz. In the discussion I recommend sanding the surface with a 240grit sandpaper and washing it with sugar soap. Once the surface of the pipe is dry and prepared then you can put the primer on.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects