Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can this wall support a heavy bag and bracket?

savin
Getting Established

Can this wall support a heavy bag and bracket?

Hi,

I have recently finished insulating and sheeting my colorbond shed as I turn it into a gym and planned to hang a heavy bag (approx 50kg

from the wall but am second guessing if it's a good idea.

I have bought a heavy duty bracket with multiple attachment points (in one of the photos), and have added some studs into the frame for the attachment points (tow of those are pictured in the photo as the other was already sheeted). 

The studs for the bracket are 2 pieces of structural pine screwed together so they're 70mm thick and connected to the frame of the shed. My thinking was that the stronger studs and multiple attachment points, along with a spring that sits between the bracket and bag would disperse the force sufficiently.

Does look safe or am I asking for trouble?

Whilst I'd prefer not to have wasted money on the bracket and other things, I can hang it off of the rack I use for weightlifting if needed. It wouldn't be as convenient but it's an option. 

IMG_2912.PNGIMG_2911.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can this wall support a heavy bag and bracket?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @savin. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a boxing bag.

Even installing these onto a brick wall is difficult due to the immense stress it puts on the wall with its counter-levered design. I'd suggest you check the installation guide for the bag to see whether attaching it to a timber stud wall is a suitable mounting option. Regarding your timber stud mounting points, at face value, they don't appear to be attached to the steel frame all that sufficiently or in a fashion that is designed to take loads. How have you done so? A second point is I don't believe a Colorbond shed would ever have been designed to take these types of loads.

In all, I'd be erring on the side of caution and suggesting that you are right to question the suitability of the installation. If you can attach it elsewhere, I'd recommend you do so.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
savin
Getting Established

Re: Can this wall support a heavy bag and bracket?

Thanks Mitchell, that's what I was leaning towards. I think I got carried away with my planning and not really understanding the force that would go through it. I did ask the shed manufacturers but who said it should be fine but I don't think the person I spoke to really understood too well so will explore alternative options. Thanks!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects