Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I glue fibre cement wall cladding to a corrugated sheet?

bsbalu
Just Starting Out

Can I glue fibre cement wall cladding to a corrugated sheet?

Hi, 

We have a large shed/workshop with corrugated sheet external walls. 

1000025105.jpg

Not liking the external appearance of it, so thinking to clad it with James hardie boards. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/james-hardie-2450-x-1200-x-9mm-133mm-smooth-axon-cladding-2-94m-_p071020...

Instead of typical installation, building frame outside and fixing the boards, can I glue the cladding using construction adhesive?

I only want to cover the front wall, which is sheltered. 

Internally shed has timber posts to which metal sheeting is fixed. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you glue fibre cement wall cladding to a corrugated sheet?

Hello @bsbalu 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about installing fibre cement on your corrugated sheet wall.

I'm afraid using just glue won't be enough to keep the James Hardie 2450 x 1200 x 9mm 133mm Smooth Axon. You'll notice in the James Hardie Installation Guide it has very specific instructions regarding what to use to keep the panel in place. 

The good news is that looking at your picture, I can see that there appears to be a timber post behind the corrugated steel. The question is, is there enough to anchor the James Hardie panel? You'll need to do a bit of investigation to find out if the timber post is big enough. Otherwise too much weight will be put on the corrugated sheet, and it might bend it. 

It will also be necessary to use longer screws so that it can pass through the corrugated sheet and into the post.   

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects