Workshop
Ask a question

How to add washing machine tap?

sez3
Finding My Feet

How to add washing machine tap?

We have just moved into a rental property (so can't change much). Our washing machine needs hot water but there's no hot water connection. How can I connection the hot water to the washing machine while still being able to use the tap for the laundry sink?  See photos below of what we are working with. Any help appreciated.

1710834671133629338061243099304.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to add washing machine tap in addition to normal tap

Hello @sez3 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your washing machine tap.

Have you looked inside the laundry tub if there are laundry taps? Where is your cold water connected to? If there are no other sources for hot water, I propose speaking to the property manager or the owner and ask them if it would be ok to change the spout to a Shaw & Mason Chrome Swivel Wall Cast Sink Spout.

This will allow you to attach a Kinetic Adaptor Aerator Kit in combination with Brasshards 20 x 15mm Brass Threaded Hex Reducing Bush. With this setup you can connect and disconnect the hot hose of your washing machine.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sez3
Finding My Feet

Thank you so much! Is there a way we can use the tap and the washing machine at the same time? And or is there a connection for this type if tap? Thanks again, you've been super helpful!

17108425736812041281734725213529.jpg

17108426012406272431755021277729.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sez3 

With the spout I suggested it will either be the washing machine or the laundry tub in use but not at the same time. Your current spout has no threaded connection at its end and there are no adapters for it. I'm sorry but you can't connect your hose to it.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Eric

sez3
Finding My Feet

Thank you so much! 1 more (probably silly question). Could we potentially change the tap and then add an outside 2 way tap?  (Took screen shot photo as an example). Also added a photo of the actual tap. 

Screenshot_20240319_204624_Samsung Internet.jpg

20240319_062504.jpg

Screenshot_20240319_204531_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thank you for your input 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sez3 

The first photo is of the splitter and that device will work with the new spout that I suggested. The third photo of the Mondella washing machine taps will not work. These are meant for individual fittings, the fitting you currently have in your wall is a combined set, which means that the hot and cold mix together in the centre and flow out of the spout. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

sez3
Finding My Feet

Thank you. So with the installation of the Shaw spout is that something we can do or do we need a plumber?

Cheers,

Sarah

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sez3 

Looking at your current spout fitting, it will be necessary to engage the services of a registered plumber as an extension might need to be added in order for the new spout to be mounted. Since it is technically a plumbing job a plumber will need to do it.

This means that the spout will be mounted to code and docket provided by the plumber serves as a warranty for the service provided. Please make sure to keep a copy in your paperwork.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects