Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which order for laundry reno?

Annie2
Growing in Experience

Which order for laundry reno?

Hello

I have no reno experience, and I am about to redo my laundry. Currently the laundry has an attached aluminium cabinet/sink combo in a corner, with two large, shiny tiles on either side of the corner, above it. I have done a bit of reading and watching, including here. Inevitably, I now have some conflicting views (guessing there are often more than one way to skin a cat), in particular about the order of doing things. I was hoping to please tap into some expert assistance here.

Here is a simplified order of business, as I understand it:

Turn off water + electricity, demo

Assemble + install cabinets

Cut counter top (rubber wood) (to length, + sink hole, tap hole), sand, + seal with polyurethane

Install counter, silicone to wall (white silicone?), cure

Drop in sink, attach with silicone – do I also seal the seams with silicone (rim of sink to counter)? With clear silicone?

Tile, grout, silicone gap between bottom of tile + counter

Any comments/advise/insight into my order and questions is appreciated.

Additionally, I wonder what size spacer I use for an imperfect edge subway tile laid vertically stack bond? Do I also need wedges (for between bottom of tile + counter)?

To reassure you, if you find the novice status of my questions alarming, my tradie (electrician) brother will be providing some help and supervision (and tools). It is my project though, and I would be most grateful for your help.

Many thanks

Annie

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Which order for laundry reno?

Hello @Annie2 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your laundry renovation.

I suggest making your list as thorough as possible. It's also important to indicate who's doing the job and when. 

• Turn the power and water off - How long will you have it off and will it affect the day-to-day operation of the household? If you turn the power and water back on make sure that the wires are safely covered and the water outlets plugged.

• Before you assemble and install the cabinets this would be the best time to install new plumbing points and power outlets. Any flooring repairs should also be carried out at this stage.

• Once the cabinets are in place, this would be a good time to cut access points for your washing machine.

• Install your benchtop - It's important to cover the benchtop while construction is still being carried out in the laundry room.

Once the benchtop is in place the rest of the steps you've listed should work fine. 

I suggest using QEP 3mm Cross Type Spacers. This is the most common size spacer used for wall tiling, but if you feel that more distance is needed you can use a bigger spacer.

I suggest running the steps in your laundry area and pretend that you're actually doing it. As you go through the motions, any steps you might have missed will reveal itself while you're doing your rehearsal. Make sure to add those steps to your list.

Please make sure to wear appropriate clothing along with personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a dust mask while working on your laundry renovation.

Let me call on our experience members, @prettyliving, @lifestylebymari and @redbournreno for their recommendations.

Please make sure to keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your laundry renovation.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looking forward to seeing how you can transform your laundry @Annie2.

Just thought I would encourage you to check out the guide How to plan a laundry renovation by experienced member Adam. You might also get inspiration from our Top 10 most popular laundry renovation projects shared by our clever and creative members.

Welcome to the community. We trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from the community. 

Jason

Annie2
Growing in Experience

Thanks Jason, appreciate your response, I have looked at all of the information you have helpfully highlighted 

Annie2
Growing in Experience

Thank you for your comprehensive response Eric, you’ve flagged a few things I need to think about, which is great.

Are you please able to confirm that I silicone the joint between the wall and the counter top twice, once on installation, and once after grouting? Does silicone stick to silicone?

Thanks again

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Annie2 

If you are tiling above the benchtop, I suggest leaving a standard tiling gap between the benchtop and the tiles. I recommend putting on a single bead of silicone once your tiles are in place. It's not necessary to apply two beads of silicone on the benchtop.

Please note that once you have the tiles installed, it's important that you give the tile adhesive enough time to cure before you grout the tiles. I also strongly recommend applying tile and grout sealer to prevent dirt and water from settling in the grout.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Annie2
Growing in Experience

Hi Eric

Thank you again, grateful for your response.

Is there grout available with sealer "built in"? Or are they two separate products? Are you able to please provide the names of one or two suitable products?

I would also appreciate your guidance on sealing the counter top (rubber wood from Bunnings). It's blond, and I'm concerned it will pull yellow. How do I counteract that possibility? By using a water-based poly? Or a "white-wash" product? Are you please able to provide the names of of one or two suitable products?

Also, my kaboodle cabinetry was delivered yesterday (yay!), and the instructions for assembling the boxes say to use "exterior woodworking glue", as well as the screws, for added strength and stability. Again, could you please provide the names of one or two suitable products?

Set to start demo on Sunday - photos to come!

Many thanks

Annie

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Annie2,

There are grouts that are mould and stain resistant, but it's better to seal them separately for maximum effectiveness. I recommend using Davco 500ml Sanitized Tile And Grout Sealer or Betta TileCare 1L Tile & Grout Sealer.

A water-based poly would certainly appear less yellow on your benchtop than an oil-based product. I'd recommend using Cabot's Water-based CFP

Selleys Aquadhere would be a suitable exterior-grade woodworking glue for your cabinets.

Remember your PPE for the demolition, including safety glasses, gloves and a face mask.

We look forward to those photos. Shout out if you need any assistance. 

Mitchell

Annie2
Growing in Experience

Thank you Mitchell, I'm grateful to you, have added these to my shopping list!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects