Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wardrobe and storeroom shelves

Baggs
Having an Impact

Wardrobe and storeroom shelves

Hi Everyone,

Just another small project I've done at the new place.

I added some extra shelves to my wife's robe and fitted out the storeroom too.

Materials

42x18 primed pine

50mm timber screws

30mm timber screws

liquid nails

Melamine shelving

Tools

Drill

impact driver

drop saw

multi tool

circular saw

square

clamps

level

Steps

Step 1

Started off putting the 2 vertical melamine panels in.

One up against the existing shelf and one in the center to divide the new shelves. I used a multi tool to cut the skirting to allow the vertical panels to sit back against the wall.

Then worked out what spacings we wanted and found what studs were in the area.

cut the 42x18 pine to size and used liquid nails and 50mm screws to fix in spot.

20220731_121426.jpg

Step 2

Once all the batons were up it was time to fill the screw holes, run some gap filler around and paint. So much easier before fitting the shelves.

Once all dry it was time to cut the shelves in.

Grab a big square to check your corners and cut the melamine to suit. This can be a bit tricky to get right but just take your time.

Plus if there is any gaps just run some gap filler around too.

20220731_144045.jpg

Step 3

I just used a few 30mm screws to fix the shelves down then used some gap filler to fill over the screw heads.

20220731_163851.jpg

Step 4

On the other end of the robe I just put one shelf in the same height as the existing shelving and used the same prosses as before but added a baton across the front to support the front edge of the shelf. Then added a hanging rail too.

20220731_163828.jpg

Step 5

and then again for the storeroom however i doubled up the 42x18 pine across the front edge as there will be a lot more weight on these ones.

20220320_125425.jpg20220320_182034.jpg20220321_124443.jpg20220321_183618.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Robe & Storeroom Shelving

Hi @Baggs,

Incredible how small projects can have such big impacts! It fits the small projects category for Bunnings' search for Australia's Best D.I.Y. 2023 so I have entered it in for you.

You have done a wonderful job adding more storage to your wardrobe and storeroom. "Grab a big square to check your corners and cut the melamine to suit. This can be a bit tricky to get right but just take your time." - this is a great tip thank you for sharing. You'll find some of our member's projects go into our Top Ideas articles like 10 most popular storage projects, you may find yours in there one day. 

Well done!

Katie 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Wardrobe and storeroom shelves

Hi @Baggs you can never have enough storage, this project looks good, well done and good luck for your entry in the DIY July project entry.

Good thinking in making the shelves stronger to take extra weight, this will prevent the shelves from sagging with the extra weight.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects