Workshop
Ask a question

How to replace shower tap handles?

bronc
Getting Established

How to replace shower tap handles?

Wondering if it's possible to fix shower tap handles, without replacing the whole tap. The knobs keep coming off and one part has worn out on both taps and now sits outside the handle.

I can still get the taps on and use them but they keep coming off. I will be doing the bathroom up,  so after an in expensive fix to give me a year or so.  I've attached pics which hopefully help.

1000010614.jpg

1000010616.jpg

1000010615.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tap fix

Hello @bronc 

I believe your tap handle can still be repaired. I suggest using the Kinetic Spout And Handle Repair Kit. You'll notice a small flat bar with two ends bent at an angle. This is the tool you need to use to turn the locking screw behind your handle. 

If you look inside your handle, you'll notice a black plastic sleeve that anchors to the outside of the spindle. If that plastic part has worn down, there is a replacement part available in the kit. Remove the old sleeve and make sure to compare it to the new one before installing it.

I also suggest having a look at this guide - How to replace a tap washer. You'll see in step 2/picture 2.4 a clear example of how the hidden locking screw is positioned and how the tool fits in place. I recommend having a look at this discussion - How to remove leaking laundry tap handle? by @ennoh. There is a diagram of how the tap handle is installed.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Atap Z 2.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bronc
Getting Established

Thanks so much for the quick response Eric, I'll have a go and come back if i have any more questions.

bronc
Getting Established

Hi Eric, 

I've got the kit and on looking at the diagram as to how the parts go on,  I'm a bit lost as the new screw nut does not go over the spindle,  it does not seem to physically fit? I've removed the horseshoe  and taken the old worn nut off.  In addition, the black plastic sleeves do look worn,  but i can't get one out and the one I've got out the new one i can't get in! Any further advice appreciated.  Pic attached of the new nut and how far it goes on the spindle.

1000010657.jpg

bronc
Getting Established

Hello, 

Update,  I've fixed it using the old nut, i did not replace the black sleeves in the end.  Thanks so much for all the help!

Bronwyn

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @bronc,

I'm glad to see you've had some success fixing your tap.

If you have any other questions in future, feel free to reach out.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects