Workshop
Ask a question

How to keep a window next to a shower?

Dicky1
Finding My Feet

How to keep a window next to a shower?

Hi there,

I'm looking at removing this bath and putting in a walk in shower instead. Pretty simple, except for the window. I need ideas on how to keep the light in the bathroom from this window, but need to also seal it/fill it for the shower water etc. I was thinking glass bricks?? Any other ideas please?

CheersIMG_20240427_155019538.jpgIMG_20240427_155024632_HDR.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Shower window

Hi @Dicky1,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

I like the idea for the glass bricks but am concerned that it would create a pocket where humidity can build up and cause issues.

All of the ideas I have would require the assistance of a glazier and the installation of a new window unit. 

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members for their thoughts @Noyade, @Dave-1, @Nailbag, @TedBear.

Hopefully they will have some of their typically great ideas that can help further.

Jacob

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Aternoon @Dicky1 

I was thinking that I hadnt seen a product that could stand up to being waterproof and frosted before as I was looking at your picture.  Would it be possible to install the new shower area with the side that faces the window as clear glass and keep the window frosted, that way its waterproof and seperated. You could update the window itself and make it frosted and the clear glass three sides of the shower would still allow light into the room.

Dave

Nailbag
Making a Splash

Hi @Dicky1 The most important aspect of any bathroom is the waterproofing, especially the shower recess. For your consideration this is how I would tackle it.

1. Delete the window and fill it in to 4/5ths height with timber frame and tile underlay. This would now be included in the waterproofing process.

2. Fill the top 1/5th with a fixed pain frosted glass window to allow light in and positioned directly above the shower head line. You could make this yourself.

3. Install a solartube or similar light to bring in more natural light and are available in a wide range of lens's

4. Blue-board and weather seal the external wall which could then be covered over with some form of feature panelling available in Coreten. If your house is rendered on that side you could then render the board to suit.

Regards, Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 8.52.10 PM.png

Cheers Nailbag, much appreciated!

Thanks to everyone that responded. Cheers!

You’re welcome @Dicky1 good luck with the project. Please keep us in the loop with your progress

Nailbag. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects