Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should I repaint or retile?

Alfandari
Getting Established

Should I repaint or retile?

Looking to renovate our toilet and vanity area but not sure whether to retile professionally or try diy. I'm tempted to attempt diy first to see how far some painting, changing taps, handles and light, and regrouting can take me but not sure it'll be worth the time and effort, especially the tiny floor tiles. Looking for ideas, recommendations, warnings. 

IMG_20230106_121618.jpg

IMG_20230106_121646.jpg

IMG_20230106_121657.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: repaint or retile?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Alfandari. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about paint a bathroom.

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with the difference you can achieve by purely using paint. The Dulux Renovation Range includes paints suitable for your floor and wall tiles and cabinetry. With a painted refresh and an upgrade to the tapware, handles and lights, you could be looking at a whole new bathroom for far less cost than a re-tile. How a look through some of the many excellent bathroom revamps with paint that our members have contributed. You'll see some wonderful results and transformations.

My advice would be that if you want a full renovation with a change of tile size, new vanity, upgraded toilet and mirror, then consider professional assistance. However, if you are just looking for an update and refresh, then give the paint a go; you've got nothing to lose, and it will only cost you a few hundred dollars compared to the thousands for a re-tile. Here's a helpful guide: How to plan a bathroom renovation. Also, we have a step-by-step guide on How to paint bathroom tiles.

When painting tiles, you paint over the tile and grout, so there is no need to paint those small floor tiles individually.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Should I repaint or retile?

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Alfandari. It's great to have you join us and I trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration from our wonderful members.

This is a great collection that you should find inspiring as you mull over next steps for your bathroom: Bathroom makeovers using paint.

We're looking forward to seeing how you can transform your bathroom.

Jason

Finally repainted and it looks so good! Going to change the tap too to a gold modern style I bought.

Can't seem to find new cabinet handles as these have a 4cm metal ring bases.

Floor tiles look worse now because of the 'new' tile contrast but not much I can do about it. They're too uneven to add vinyl over.

Might need to change the lights to something more modern too.

Also I ended up using the other brand of tile paint, not Dulux, as was recommended in store. 

IMG_20231108_154415.jpg

IMG_20231108_101950.jpg

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Alfandari 

Thank you so much for the update, it looks very good! It looks so much brighter and gives it a freshly tiled look. In regards to your handles, have you considered spray painting them to give them a new look as well? There are gold spray paint finishes if that is what you're after.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: Spray painted tapware by @lifestylebymari. (the techniques used are applicable to your door handles)

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Alfandari
Getting Established

One of the 3 handles has a chip so wouldn't be the best solution. Any other ideas for modernizing the cupboards doors? They have a shiny laminate over wood. 

Hi @Alfandari,

Even painting the cabinet doors one colour to eliminate the different coloured inlay would modernise them. The two-tone inlay dates them quite substantially. Do you need to use handles that have a 4cm base plate? I presume that wouldn't stop you from using smaller based handles.

For the floor tiles, apart from the unevenness, is it the soiled grout lines that are the most unsightly issue? If so, I suggest you give the grout a good cleaning with grout cleaner and then once dry, use Ultra-white grout paint on them. I have plenty of soiled and aged grout that can't be cleaned. I refresh its look every two years by applying grout paint. It works amazingly well!

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Some great ideas, thanks. Yes it's mainly the grout in between that's an issue. I was thinking of just putting bleach to soak in but will have a look at the products you suggested. I already have a Dunlop White reGrout, maybe I can use that instead of the paint.

Re painting the doors, I'd probably need to paint the whole door, which is expensive as the front is laminate. I'll see if I have leftover paint from the tiles. 

Re door handles...I wasn't sure if I can put any handle while keeping the base. Sounds like I can? Might buy one and see how it looks. Thanks again. Another trip to Bunnings!

Sorry, I don't believe I am familiar with a "Dunlop White reGrout" @Alfandari. Can you provide a product link for it?

I would have thought removing the current handles and bases would allow you to install any single-hole handles. Behind the 4cm base plate should just be a tiny 4mm hole that most handles will suit. 

Mitchell

This one https://www.bunnings.com.au/dunlop-800g-ready-to-go-coloured-grout-white_p6650123

I think there's damage behind the handle plate so I need to replace it, can't just take it off and put a small handle.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects