Workshop
Ask a question

Does Bunnings sell metal shelving supports?

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Does Bunnings sell metal shelving supports?

Do Bunnings sell those small shelf supports - made only of metal?

From memory something like below. They had/have a larger plate surface area for the shelf.

Or am I mis-remembering?

Cheers.

20240419_093018.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Does Bunnings sell metal shelving supports?

Hi @Noyade

Thanks for your question. 

Bunnings sell a variety of all metal shelf support pins. Here are some of the options I have found:

If you need further assistance, please get in touch.

Jacob

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks very much @JacobZ I never knew there were so many to choose from.

I went with 6mm.

Cheers!

20240419_131252.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @JacobZ 

I'm pretty sure I've drawn that support peg above - upside down?

In the end they became part of a wall shelf - above a toilet. The best part is the main wooden frame is solid floating floor boards retrieved from the side of a road. Someone's junk. My wife unkindly calls it the Road-Kill shelf.

20240421_114221.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade,

Your drawing looks correct to me. As the force on the peg is being applied top down, the vertical part of the support is best faced down, so it is pushed against the side wall. If it was facing upwards, it would be pulled away from the side wall.

I think it looks great, but I also do love a "junk" project so I might be a bit biased. A favourite Youtuber of mine, Beau Miles, does some great stuff with things he finds on the side of the road. You might like to check him out, in particular his video on secretly building his wife a $60 cabin.

Jacob

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

But if you look at the Bunnings box above, it seems to show them as a letter 'L' when inserted?

I thought it 'cradles' the shelf - if that makes sense?

20240421_122009.jpg

But the downside is you have to cut the shelf to fit inside both supports. It was trial and error.

So maybe I do have it wrong?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade,

I find this odd if I'm honest as all other support brackets I've seen are oriented with the vertical piece aimed downwards so the load is transferred into the side wall. Their thinking may be that when they are oriented upwards, they can be rebated into the shelf and hidden.

Unless you are planning to support a good amount of weight, I don't see the orientation being too big of an issue as the structure of the shelf will prevent the support bracket from pulling out of the wall. 

I think it will come down to aesthetics, and if you are happy that the load is supported well, I wouldn't worry too much.

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects