Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need suggestion for tiling ensuite bathroom

talexpat
Finding My Feet

Need suggestion for tiling ensuite bathroom

Hello everyone,

I'm seeking advice for an ensuite bathroom renovation focused on extending tiles and replacing the toilet. I've opted for Johnson white tiles sized 200-x-400mm, aiming for consistency with the existing tiles. However, a challenge has surfaced concerning the last row of tiles in the shower area, which is only 17 cm high compared to the standard 20 cm of a single tile.

Upon removing the floor tile, approximately 10 cm, from the wall, I plan to begin installing the white wall tiles from the floor. This poses an issue with a noticeable gap that needs addressing to align the shower area tiles with the rest of the toilet tiles.

One potential solution is to start with tiles only 2 cm high from the floor and then layer 20 cm high tiles on top. While this ensures maximum alignment, it does result in the first row of tiles being only 2 cm high or less, considering the necessary tile gaps.

I would greatly appreciate your insights on the best course of action in this scenario. Thank you for your guidance.

PXL_20240124_090532184_edited.jpg

PXL_20240122_023850650.jpg

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: Need suggestion for tiling ensuite bathroom

It's always exciting to give a space a fresh look. Starting with the 2 cm tiles and layering up to the 20 cm ones is a solid plan. To soften that transition, think about creating a kind of slope or transition strip. You can do this with smaller tile cuts or maybe even customize a strip that complements your style. Another trick is adding a little flair with a decorative border or a mosaic strip between the two heights. It not only eases the shift but also brings a bit of personality into the mix. If you can find custom trim pieces or bullnose tiles, they're like the superheroes of finishing edges – clean and polished.

Throwing in some accent tiles in that transition zone could be a game-changer too. Remember to measure twice, cut once, and maybe do a dry run with a few tiles to see how it all plays out. Best of luck with your bathroom glow-up!

Regards,

Remarka6le
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @talexpat 

Thanks for sharing your question regarding tiling your ensuite bathroom. It sounds like a fantastic project and I'm sure once it's been re-tiled, it will have that brand new bathroom look. 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Remarka6le. I agree with the recommendation made and that is to use an accent tile to enhance the look of the bottom area. To keep with consistency, I also suggest cutting a strip of 20mm of the same tile so that it at least looks uniform until the very bottom.

Let me call on our experienced members @prettyliving, @Peggers and @lifestylebymari for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @Remarka6le and @EricL for your replies.

I shall do budgeting for the mosaic tile recommendation and looking forward to other recommendations as well. 

Just another question, would you recommend 600mm Hand Tile Cutter for this ceramic tiling job as I think there is minimal cutting involved, hoping to avoid 20mm cut for the bottom row and use mosaic tiles strip in the middle to make the job easy.

The change of toilet is what has triggered this, I am guessing tiling near the tap would be tricky. AIming for this Mondella Signature White Rimless Back to Wall Toilet Suite 

Thanks 

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-25 at 20.31.51_2e77722e.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @talexpat, 

The 600mm Hand Tile Cutter should be sufficient as you will not be doing a great deal of cutting. This would often happen when doing a herringbone configuration or something similar. 

In regards to tiling around the tap, I suggest using a cardboard template to make sure you cut the tile in the perfect spot.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects