Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Laundry rebuild: appliance cabinet and Belfast sink

RenoRach1
Making a Splash

Laundry rebuild: appliance cabinet and Belfast sink

I’ve hit the pointy end of my laundry rebuild and now have to solve the issues of building a cabinet for the washing machine and dryer and also installing a Belfast sink, all with standard Kaboodle cabinets. Until I solve these issues, I can’t finalise the measurements for my benchtops.

RenoRach1_4-1665901472124.jpeg   RenoRach1_5-1665901472138.jpeg

Issue 1: I’m aiming for a BC plywood cabinet like Hayley from @housetohome has created here, sitting above two sets of Kaboodle 600mm drawers. I have 3 lengths of 2250 x 600 x 30mm marine ply for the uprights; I’ll have to buy some more for the horizontals. I’m not sure how to make the joins with the ply, though. Should I use dowel…or is there another way?

Issue 2: I plan to have my plumber install a Belfast sink into a standard 600mm Kaboodle cabinet, as can be seen here.

RenoRach1_6-1665901472144.jpeg   RenoRach1_7-1665901472148.jpeg

The sink will need to be braced but how and with what? Structural pine and is there an optimal way of doing this? I know that I’ll have to cut down the Kaboodle door to fit the cabinet, but I’m not panicking too much about that (yet!).

Any advice on how to address either of these issues would be gratefully received. Thank you!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Laundry rebuild: appliance cabinet and Belfast sink

Hi @RenoRach1,

Kreg pocket hole jigs have become the industry standard for installing concealed fixings in cabinetry. They are an easy-to-use jig and provide exceptionally strong joints when combined with an adhesive. You'll want to ensure that the horizontal ply is sitting directly on top of the lower cabinetry, so it directly transfers your appliances' weight to the ground. If there is to be a void below the ply and above the lower cabinetry and the shelf is to self-support the appliances, then I'd recommend a timber brace under it, brackets or dowels.

For installation requirements for your sink, it would be best first to reference the information provided by the manufacturer. It might need additional bracing apart from a couple of horizontal timber screwed between the cabinet's side panels. You might like to read through Under sink cabinet doors by @VanessaL. In the discussion, there's an image of how their Belfast sink was installed, and we also go over how the infill panel can be constructed and the doors adjusted.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc 

Thank you SO much for your speedy response. These are two very helpful links and the sink images are just what I need. Vanessa did a splendid job of her kitchen!

We'll add the pocket jig to the list and take your advice. Might take a couple of weeks but I'll try to post some updates as to the progress.

Many thanks for your invaluable advice.

R

No worries, @RenoRach1! I've used the Kreg jig myself and was very impressed. Let me know if you have difficulties with it or customizing your cabinetry.

I can't wait to see your results!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects