Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to turn this shower space into a butler's pantry?

maiganda
Just Starting Out

How to turn this shower space into a butler's pantry?

hi,

I have been reading through posts on DIY and made me so much amazed how great your works are. 

we have a small pantry and at its back is a wall where the bathroom is (shower) i am hoping someone can assist to give me a sound advice.

I wanted to remove the shower space of the bathroom and extend the pantry where it will be a butler pantry. is this doable? 

images below are the area of the bathroo m which at its back is our pantry

thanks on your support in advance.

5853B7EB-5270-4DBD-8DD4-3AE492B8941E.jpeg

F152DC05-7213-4907-B6A2-7FC14C4F9A6E.jpeg

RSS
Cultivating a Following

Re: diy question- pantry and bathroom back to back

Anything is possible!

Hi @maiganda 

You would need to check if the shower/pantry wall is a weight bearing wall, before you remove that section of wall.  If the wall is weight bearing, it can be reinforced at the top, so a opening/doorway can be made into it. 

I feel the shower room would be too small if you are planning using just the shower area.  Get some cardboard boxes and masking tape to mark out where you want cupboards/shelves, and see if you can easily move around in the area.

I'm sure you have already thought about and depending on how far you want to go, electrical and plumbing will need to be modified.  Taps and shower head removed or modified for use as a sink.  If a sink is installed, then a new drain will need to be installed.  Light (and exhaust fan) switch, light fitting and exhaust fan may need changing to meet needs.

Good luck and keep us updated with your project if you decide to go ahead with it.

maiganda
Just Starting Out

Thank you @RSS for your advise! they are well noted, much appreciated! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @maiganda. It's splendid to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a butler's pantry.

I'd agree with the sound advice that @RSS has already provided. The first step will be determining if the wall can be removed.

You'd need to utilise a very thin bench to the side and a slimline sink in order to be able to move around the space as it's relatively narrow. The area would work well for additional storage on shelves but might be a bit tight for a bench. I love @RSS's idea of using cardboard to mock up the cabinets and shelves to check functionality. 

The layout of the pantry will depend on various factors such as the amount of storage you require, the type of appliances or fixtures you want to install, and your overall design preferences. Consider using floor-to-ceiling cabinetry to maximize storage space. You can also install floating shelves or wire baskets to store smaller items. 

In a small pantry, it's important to keep the design simple and uncluttered. Consider the flow between your kitchen and pantry when designing the area. Make sure there is enough space to move around and access the items you need.

I look forward to seeing your project progress. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects