Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to temporarily fix a shower floor with missing tiles?

Cloudbase1902
Finding My Feet

How to temporarily fix a shower floor with missing tiles?

I've just moved into a new place.The shower floor has some missing tiles, so water goes onto the [cement? flooring underneath]. The seals along the edges of the tiles also look gone.

I would like to patch this up until the bathroom is completely re-done next year. I don't care about aesthetics, just about preventing any more water from leaking.

One problem is the tiles are very small- the smallest squares are approx 18mm x 18mm. The larger square is approx 40mm x 40mm. If there's a substance (silicon?) that I can put in the holes instead of new tiles, that will last for a while, happy to do that instead.

Can anyone suggest what I could do:

a) in the next few days as a temporary patch?

b) anything I should do in the next few weeks/months as a longer lasting patch?

IMG_1146.jpgIMG_1147.jpgIMG_1148.jpgIMG_1149.jpg

Cloudbase1902
Finding My Feet

Re: Temporary fix for shower floor with missing tiles

I was hoping I would be able to use something like one of the products below, to fill in the broken tile areas, and around the edges of the shower walls, but unsure if the holes are too big:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-300g-wet-area-waterproof-silicone-sealant-black_p1230131

https://www.bunnings.com.au/sika-400ml-blue-grey-107-wet-area-filler_p0090775

https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-50g-knead-it-aqua-epoxy-putty_p1230080

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Cloudbase1902. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about sealing a shower recess.

As a temporary solution, you could likely use the Selleys 50g Knead It Aqua Epoxy Putty. It won't stop all the water leaking through the tiles, but it will assist. Alternatively, you could just fill the missing tiles with tile grout. After that, I'd recommend you then paint the whole floor and up the walls slightly with Shower Plug.

Just so you know, there should be a waterproofing layer under your tiles that captures the leaking water and directs it into the drain. So, not only does the water that hits the tiles end up in the drain, but another outlet under the drain captures the leaks. Provided the waterproofing was done correctly, no permanent damage to the property should be occurring.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell. I think I'll give the Aqua Putty a go to start with tomorrow, and then look at doing the shower plug option in a few weeks.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects