Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal a cracked bathroom tile?

Bridget9
Finding My Feet

How to seal a cracked bathroom tile?

I have discovered a cracked tile in the bottom of shower wall, already here when I brought the house. Hard to tell in the photo but it's been sealed and I think the sealant is starting to come away.

I'm not ready to replace the whole bathroom and redoing two tile for any plumber would be a actual nightmare given where it is placed, age of property etc.

Does anyone have any diy sealant solutions or is this a call a plumber, let the professionals? 

Thanks!

20240104_074454.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal a cracked bathroom tile?

Hello @Bridget9 

I suggest giving the are a really good wash with detergent and water. Once the area is totally dry, I propose applying a thin layer of Selleys 300g Clear Wet Area Waterproof Silicone Sealant and spreading it using a Pro Renovator 50mm Plastic Scraper.

Your objective is to cover the broken area with a uniform coating and then letting it cure. Please remember that this is a temporary solution and eventually the silicone will fail, and tile will need to be replaced.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when working on your repairs.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to seal a cracked bathroom tile?

Thanks Eric, I'll certainly give it a go! It's definitely a temp fix as I've looking to replace and renovate the whole bathroom in a year :smile: 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects