Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace these taps?

hienhen
Finding My Feet

How to replace these taps?

image.jpg

image.jpg

  

First time giving this a go. Have taken the old taps off and am left with what I assume is the old spindle and locking nut. The Mondello wall tap set I bought had new spindles and nuts but can I just insert the taps onto the old ones? I’ve tried doing that but seem like the old spindle is too long and may beed a flange extender/ wall flange? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace these taps

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @hienhen. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about replacing taps.

Typically, when replacing taps, you'd also replace the spindle. You can attempt, as you have done, to retrofit the new handles and the flange to the existing spindle. However, it doesn't appear that the tap handle is fully seating onto the spindle. Have a look inside the tap handle to see if the hole is the same shape as the spindle shaft top. If the tap handle doesn't fit on securely and lock in place with the grub screw, then you'd need to change over the spindles too. 

Here's a helpful guide: How to replace a tap washer. It will show you the basic steps of removing the spidle.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to replace these taps

Thanks Mitchell. You’re right, the tap handle doesn’t full sit on the spindle and therefore does not actually turn the tap on when I try to do so.

The old spindles almost look glued into the wall but I might have a look at them again and try to loosen them. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects