Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace taps in 1950’s concrete house bathroom reno?

AndWood1960
Finding My Feet

How to replace taps in 1950’s concrete house bathroom reno?

Hi team, 

Renovating a 1950’s home in Maryborough Vic. 
Going really well but now need to reach out for advice. 
The bathroom shower taps are getting to unusable and also past the point of maintenance. Replacement time . Trick is the plumbing is in the concrete walls behind the tiles in the picture. 
Would I be correct in assuming there is a channel in the concrete the copper pipes follow under the tiling? 
Tap bodies will need replacing so may need to ease out the channel a bit more.

Hopefully not too bigger job.

Appreciate the feedback and suggestions.

Cheers Andrew58A89BA4-937B-4DE8-B6D9-7D43F1049A4E.jpeg4B5EE154-C804-4EEA-A0E2-36E233D2B736.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: 1950’s Concrete house bathroom reno

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @AndWood1960. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about replacing shower taps.

In most cases, you should be able to replace your existing taps with new taps without needing to replace the tap body. We have a range of wall taps that would be a direct replacement. What was the reason for replacing the tap bodies? Were the seats worn out? If so, you can reseat them.

If it's a concrete wall behind the taps, then I'd agree that it's likely that the pipes run in a channel.

I'm keen to hear more about why the tap bodies need replacing. It would be best to try and avoid it if at all possible.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Awesome feedback Mitchell thanks so much. Yeah the tap bodies have been reseated many times and it looks like the seat is nearly worn right through from what I can see. The cold tap seat looks to have a crack in it and forever leaks lol . Tried every washer type on the shelf with no joy hahaha .

Fair enough, @AndWood1960; I just wanted to ensure they were totally ruined before you tried replacing them. Have you seen these HydroSeal Tap Seat Replacement Kits? You tap a thread into the tap body and screw in a new seat. They could be worth trying.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell,

Yes def in the list to try.

Hopefully buy some time before we redo the whole bathroom.

Thanks so much.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects