Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace a bathroom mirror?

terri2
Just Starting Out

How to replace a bathroom mirror?

I need to replace my bathroom mirror. It is attached to wall with silicone and doubled sided mirror tape How do I get it off?

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Replace a bathroom mirror that is glued and taped to wall

Hi @terri2 

We  use as much  care as possible.  

Please note any attempt at removal can mean  breakage so dont proceed .

I would use timber wedges I own they are actually wooden door stops. 

The trick is to start at one accessable  end use 4 wedges as a guide and gently tap each wedge in turn a couple of mm from top to bottom in sequence to slowly cause the silicon and tape to  lift under one  egde under gentle  pressure as  mirror gives a little go a bit more.  

Use  gloves as it is highly possible the mirror can break and as the mirror comes away be ready to support it as it separates  from the wall.

When the wedges  open a gap wide  enough I might use some thing else to  to  continue  gentle  levering like a bit of timber. Might be  best 2 person job one to tap wedges the other  to hold mirror coming of the wall.

A second thing I can  do is use  a carpenters saw  blade and once the mirror edge  forms a gap the blade may fit allowing to to extremly gently cut /abraid double sided  tape and silicon  will be no problem to cut. easier as the  gap increases. Make  sure blade is parraell to the wall.

The  blade may  mark the wall as its teeth are offset on both sides of blade.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replace a bathroom mirror that is glued and taped to wall

Hello @terri2 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about removing your mirror.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How to safely remove stuck glued mirror in bathroom? by @Fefe1578. Large old mirrors are often not made of safety glass and are likely to shatter when force is applied on its surface. 

In the interest of health and safety, I suggest engaging the services of a professional glazier. They have the experience, tools and techniques to safely remove glued mirrors on plasterboard walls. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects