Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace a Caroma dual flush square outlet valve?

enzo60
Finding My Feet

How to replace a Caroma dual flush square outlet valve?

I have a Caroma dual flush toilet purchased in 2007.

I need to replace the pictured square outlet valve.

I don't know the Caroma model.

There is no information on the inside lid.

I did find this Fix-A-Loo product however how can I ensure its the correct part?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/fix-a-loo-thunderflush-dual-flush-cistern-outlet-valve_p4790780

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

cheers

Enzo

IMG_6039.jpgIMG_6037.jpgI

IMG_6040.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace a Caroma dual flush square outlet valve?

Hello @enzo60

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about repairing your Caroma dual flush cistern. 

Looking at the picture you've posted, it seems that the flushing system is still in good condition. I don't see any broken parts or cracks in the housing. However, if you have a leak that is letting water through to the pan, then all you need to replace is the washer for the flush mechanism. The only reason to replace the entire assembly is if there is a leak coming out of the body of the cistern itself.

I've placed a picture below that shows you the locking pins that are holding the flushing arm in place.  I suggest gently pulling the two locking pins at the front to allow you to pull the front piece up. Then push the other two at the back so that you can pull the housing up. Bring the flushing arm to the store so that you can get the correct flushing seal for your set. 

Once you've replaced the washer, put the flushing arm back into place in the same position making sure that the locking clips engage.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @EricL 

Thank you for your reply.

I recently replaced the washer with a Fix-A-Loo product suitable for Caroma & leaking continued.

Therefore i arranged a plumber to fix.

Plumber found another problem being a broken inlet valve which he replaced.

He reckons I correctly attached the new washer to the outlet valve.

looking at the unit I believe the flushing arm does not properly sit after a flush.

Any insight you may have would be welcome.

cheers

Enzo

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @enzo60

One of the things to watch out for is that the seating washer has to be positioned dead centre of the flushing arm. Even a small deviation will cause it to leak. The reason for this is that you are using a generic replacement part. I suggest using instead the Kinetic Seating Washers, specifically the orange one. In my experience, this washer has the highest rate of success with dual flush systems.

Another possible cause is that the bottom seat for the flushing arm is damaged or may have developed a crack in which case it might be time to replace the set. Give the flushing arm another go and if it still fails, then perhaps it's time to consider a full placement of the flushing set.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your flushing system repaired.

Eric

Hi @EricL .

Yes I believe the flushing arm does not correctly sit over the bottom seat.

The outlet valve is the original so I will try the kinetic orange washer as suggested.

Failing that I will progress to buy a full flushing set.

What brands does Bunnings supply for this Caroma part, or does Caroma have spares?

Also, how can I determine the model of this 2007 cistern/toilet?

Many thanks for your continued assistance.

cheers

Enzo

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @enzo60

The FIX-A-LOO Thunderflush Dual Flush Cistern Outlet Valve is the closest equivalent to the Caroma dual flush mechanism the store has. In order to determine if the dual flushing mechanism is still available for your toilet, you'll need to bring the whole assembly to the store so that the special order team can take photos and measurements and send them to Caroma. They'll then be able to identify the model you have and hopefully provide a spare. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects