Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair shower grout?

TH
Getting Established

How to repair shower grout?

I just moved into a place about 20 years old. The two showers both need regrouting. I can see gaps between the grout and tiles, and missing grout.

I have removed grout with a grout hand saw before, and found the grout came up easily. However the grout in these showers are rock hard and wouldn't budge. What can I use to remove the grout? 

The existing grout is lower than the tiles. Would it be ok to apply epoxy grout over the top of old grout?

I also need to remove old silicone. I've used selleys silicone remover and found it iineffective. Any other suggestions would be most welcome. 

Thank you!

20231203_135719.jpg

20231203_140028.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Shower grout repair

Hi @TH 

The grout probably  is  epoxy  grout. :smile: in place.

You can  use a vibrating multi tool  and half round  blade would be good  for  grout removal.  If the grout is  solid thats  fine just scuff it  to give new  grout some thing to bond to. 

You want the silicon shower  screen  bead replaced ?  The multi tool can help there too , some use a sharp  scraper or   knife, as well in the corners.

If you can  steam clean the grout to kill off mold spores or at the least exit mold type  cleaner then wash that off too.

Have  fun :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair shower grout?

Hello @TH 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have yo join us, and thanks for sharing your question about repairing your grout.

Just to give you an idea of the tools @Jewelleryrescue is referring to here is a link to the multitool. The blade used used for grout removal is the Diablo 70mm Multi Function Tool Ultimate Grout And Mortar Blade. This is the tool to remove the silicone CornerTape Professional Silicon Remover.

Once you've successfully removed the grout I suggest using Dunlop 1.5kg Flexible Coloured Grout - White. In order to prolong the life of the grout I suggest using Betta TileCare 500ml Tile And Grout Sealer With Wheel Applicator. This seals off the grout and prevents water from soaking into it.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TH
Getting Established

@Jewelleryrescue, @EricL,

Thank you very much for your detailed response. Much appreciated!

Looks like I need to invest in a multi tool. 

I'm going to apply epoxy grout. I have done it once and found it quite difficult as it sets so quickly. I know I have to use small amounts and work fast, so I'm thinking of just doing the shower floor. Any tips for using epoxy grout would be greatly appreciated. 

There is no access to the area below the showers to check for leakage. After grouting, I'm thinking of duct taping the drain and filling up the shower with water to the top of the hob/frame to check for leakage. Is this how you would do it? 

Thanks for your help!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @TH,

Can I ask why you are keen on using epoxy grout? Typically, it's only used in some fairly specific circumstances and would normally be avoided unless it is necessary. You would have a much easier time applying standard grout and then sealing it to prevent staining, which will give you a similar result.

The only real advice I would have for you with the epoxy is to work within the manufacturer's guidelines, at the appropriate temperature, and do small sections at a time.

Where are you looking for this leakage? Are you suspect it's through the hob or that the membrane under the tiles is compromised?

Mitchell

Hi @TH 

Yes I think @MitchellMc  is right here why put yourself through epoxy grout fast setting.

Regular grout  works  well  but I do  use a grout additive specially outdoors  to improve the grouts properties.

$20.67

• Increases flexibility, strength and water resistance of cement based grout.
  • Enhances the colour of grout.
  • Reduced likelihood of efflorescence
Concentrated grout additive designed to increase the flexibility, strength and water resistance of cement based grouts.

Davco 4 in 1 Grout Additive is suitable for interior and exterior domestic applications. Ideal for submerged and high foot traffic areas, where a high degree of deformability is required.

Also plugging the drain hole will help find leaks.  :smile:

Hi @Jewelleryrescue, @MitchellMc,

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it!

I want to use epoxy grout because of a poor experience with cement based grout. 

I had a shower with alot of small tiles and narrow, shallow spaces between them. I didn't realise the grout had worn away until water leaked through the hob and lifted some tiles (on the hob) and left stain marks outside. I had it professionally resealed but grout started falling out in some places soon after. The tradie came back to rectify but it happened again, so I decided to DIY with premixed grout. It was fine for some time, but didn't last. The shower screen was mounted in the middle of the hob rather than flush with the inside of the shower (the correct way I've read), so grout was wearing away where the screen meets the hob (But also elsewhere!). Long story short, it was painful to constantly check the grout is still intact, frustrating to do frequent regrouting, plus worry about leakages and where the leak is coming from (would lifted tiles damage the waterproof membrane, by the way?)

The current shower also has the shower screen mounted in the middle of the hob, hence my interest in epoxy grout. Apparently it's really strong and waterproof. I would also seal the shower for peace of mind. 

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @TH 

The only epoxy grout I'm currently aware of is the Dunlop 3.25kg Slate Grey Easy Clean Epoxy Grout Kit. It resists stains and chemicals, It's also able to fill a gap as large as 15mm. It is easy to use and clean during application and easy to maintain. It contains Grout Shield to resist the growth of mould & bacteria to keep surfaces looking better for longer. When combined with a grout and tile sealer, you should have superior protection inside your shower.

Please remember to use personal protection such as gloves and goggles, when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Hi @TH 

I hear you when you say the regular grout failed and worrying about  continous leaks I too would find that situation  very irritating too/

So what is going on I ask? 1  Evidence of  Grout failing,  2 tiles popping off.3 water leaks  This  sounds like the tile glue having failed with a possible water layer under the tiles interfering with regrouting efforts ,  Any tile movement will trash the new grout is possibly where you are at.  

So do you feel the tiles are solid?  And or do they sound drummy?  And leaks out the side of the hob?

Option 1 Well yes epoxy grout will glue them into  place from the top  down for a longer period of time.

Option2  if the  tiles are really drummy is  ideally they need care full lifting  and re gluing .

This brings the membrane into question like you rightly asked.  If it is damaged in side the  hob base and sides region  yes it will need to be replaced and that could  explain any mystery leaks you have,   But just  that  hob area. Is all I would do.  

I have repaired leak points in ponds with 500mm of water pressure where menbraines fail normally around pvc pipe intrusions it just takes extra measures to repair,  inside a  hob is  much easyier.

You @TH   meantion grout going up and sealing the hob to the screen.  Normally  that job is best reserved  for silicone as it is more elastic because that screen panel will flex if touched and it will crack away from grout easialy creating a leak in fact the grout may  now funnel the water out wards/

So look at the hob screen situation and reassess for your needs.

Hang in there

TH
Getting Established

Thanks Eric. That's the one I used. 🙂

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects