Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair major chip in bathroom sink?

josefynA
Just Starting Out

How to repair major chip in bathroom sink?

 Hi!

I attempted to fix this crack in my sink, however, I didn’t do a really good job. The spray paint I bought was not the matching colour to the basin. I filled the crack with builder bog then sanded it until it mimicked the original basin.

Any tips on what else to do or how to salvage my process?

IMG_1970.jpeg

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: repairing bathroom sink - major chip

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @josefynA. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a sink chip.

You've done quite a good job, and the expectation that the repair will not be noticeable is unrealistic. Even a professional would have difficulty disguising this damage.

A couple of things you could improve on would be trying to remove the paint on the surface of the sink. There's a distinctive rectangular section where you've taped the area and painted over the sink surface. If the paint isn't strongly adhered try removing it so only the damaged section is painted. Be careful not to scratch the sink surface, though. You could then try using tub and tile touch-up paint on the damaged section, as this might give a closer match to the sink colour. 

Overall, I think you've done a good job and masked the damage well. This might just be something you need to live with, or consider replacing the sink if the repair is not of an acceptable finish.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects