Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair damaged brick wall after removing tiles?

jordanperret
Growing in Experience

How to repair damaged brick wall after removing tiles?

1000000320.jpg

Hi there, looking for advice on how to repair the walls after removing laundry cabinet and tiles. The other tiles will be removed prior so it will be a bigger space to repaid. Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to repair damaged brick wall after removing tiles?

Hi @jordanperret,

What's your end goal for the project? Are you performing a wider update of the laundry, or do you just want to repair this area? 

To repair the area, you'd likely need to remove the existing wall sheeting and replace it with Villaboard. You'll then be able to paint it or tile over. Alternatively, you could sheet over the top of the existing board. Here's a step-by-step guide: How to install Villaboard.

Since this is an older property, it is important to verify that none of the existing sheeting contains asbestos. You appear to have some cement sheeting on the walls here. Please consider it asbestos and take precautionary steps to ensure your safety until you can have it tested. Here's a helpful guide: Where might you find asbestos in your home? 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell,

The goal is to tile a splashback essentially. I will be moving some laundry taps lower and into the cabinet if possible.

I will have this tested, thanks for bringing this to my attention. To confirm to replace the villaboard, assuming it's not asbestos, can i just square it off so i can replace it more easily or would i need to go further and pull down more board?

Thanks 

Depends on the thickness of the current board @jordanperret. If it's 6mm to match the Villaboard then squaring it off would work.  

Mitchell

Thanks.

Do you know how I would stick the board to the brick? And would I just use some sort of spakfilla between the next board and existing brick?

Hopefully these questions make sense.

Jordan 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jordanperret 

I suggest using construction adhesive to glue the panel to your brick wall and use Ramset 14g x 55mm Black Ankascrew to fix the panel in place. Please note that it is best to make sure that the panel is level to the rest of the wall before you begin. Once everything is level, you can begin planning on tiling your wall. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

jordanperret
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric. In regards to the area between panel and existing plasterboard, what would i use to level out between the two?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jordanperret 

I suppose it all depends on how much you are trying to fill. If you are filling gaps between 3mm and 6mm, I propose cutting timber strips to line the board and increase its thickness. I suggest testing the board first and finding out how big the gap is. 

Once you have an idea of the size of the gap, you'll be in a better position to decide what filler to use to pack the board.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects