Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove white stains from new concrete sink?

aldudeau
Just Starting Out

How to remove white stains from new concrete sink?

Hi there,

Did a small facelift on the bathroom the other day, including installing a new concrete sink, a Mondella one, from Bunnings. Looks great but I after running some hot water for the first time, white stains appeared on the sink. It’s not silicone or some other product that could have stripped the finish or left residue (I was extremely careful, wearing gloves, etc.). The stains go away when soaked with vinegar, or generally when they become wet, but return when the sink goes dry.

As far as I can tell there were no instructions to seal the sink with anything before installing, nor does this happen to other areas of the sink where there is water. 

Wondering if anyone has any ideas to solve this. Is it a defect? Picture attached.

Thanks!

Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 8.15.57 am.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove white stains from new concrete sink

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @aldudeau.

I'll need to contact Mondella to determine the issue here. In the interim, please refrain from using any cleaning products on the area. Although vinegar is often mentioned on the internet for cleaning stains, it's also quite an acidic product, and you could do more harm than good by etching the surface. I certainly wouldn't attempt to use full-strength vinegar on most surfaces as it will damage many of them. 

I'll let you know when I have more information.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to remove white stains from new concrete sink

Thanks Mitchell. I used only diluted vinegar on a small tester spot so no further damage there.

Cheers,

Alex

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove white stains from new concrete sink?

Hi @aldudeau,

I've contacted Mondella, and they'd like to run you through a few instructions to determine whether this might be a case of hard water stains (which means you'd need to wipe the bowl down and not leave water sitting on it) or whether it's a product defect. I've forwarded details to your email address to put you in contact with the Mondella warranty claim team. If this is a case of a faulty product, I'd be happy to facilitate the return for you. 

Please let me know how you go.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects