Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove glass shelf from shower screen?

androidhaig
Getting Established

How to remove glass shelf from shower screen?

I'm trying to remove some old fittings in the bathroom - what's the best way to remove this shelf from the shower screen? It looks like it's stuck onto the glass with something see-through, and fitted into the holder with a screw. Is there a way to remove it from the glass without damaging or leaving it looking horrible? 

IMG_1250.jpegIMG_1251.jpegIMG_1252.jpegIMG_1253.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Remove glass shelf from shower screen

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @androidhaig. It's splendid to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing a shower shelf.

The removal should be quite a straightforward task. I'd suggest that the shelf has been adhered to the shower screen with clear silicone. Carefully running a snapoff retractable knife between the shelf and screen on the top and bottom of the joint would likely free the shelf. Once the shelf is free, you can undo the screw on the shelf bracket to release the shelf. The bracket has likely been inserted between tiles, and hopefully, you should be able to pry it out of the grout line. The residual silicone on the shower screen can be scraped off with the blade, but remember to cut away from yourself.

However, extreme caution must be taken when working around glass panels as they can easily shatter. If you are not confident in the removal, I'd recommend enlisting the services of a professional to assist. If you attempt the removal, please wear adequate PPE, including safety glasses, a face mask, gloves, a long-sleeved shirt, trousers, and enclosed footwear.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell!

I've successfully taken off the shelf and other fittings and filled it with some Selleys Aqua Knead It, and sanded with wet/dry 400. The colour of the filling isn't quite matching the tiles, is there an easy way to make it look less obvious? IMG_1343.jpegIMG_1344.jpeg

Good job @androidhaig.

As Mitch is currently taking a well-earned break, let me tag our other resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert in @EricL for his thoughts on next steps.

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @androidhaig 

My apologies for the late reply. In order to cover the Aqua Knead it, I suggest using British Paints 4 Seasons Semi Gloss White Exterior Paint and applying it with a Nylon Flat Craft Paint Brush - Size 2. Please note that the paint will temporarily cover the putty surface but will not permanently stay there. It will be necessary to reapply the paint cover when it starts to fade. 

My best advice is to make sure that the doors and windows of the shower area are open so that the paint cures properly.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects