Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove a tap handle?

Schmikell
Finding My Feet

How to remove a tap handle?

Handle doesn’t lift off when I unscrew the Cold button on top.Don’t want to smash it off.Would be grateful for advise.,

A02E53DB-F7CF-45B3-9E0A-9DAE24BDE5C5.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: removing a tap handle

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Schmikell. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing tap handles.

Here's a helpful guide: How to replace a tap washer. In your case, the handle is just stuck; likely due to corrosion or soap scum. I'd recommend placing a towel on the vanity to protect it and then sticking a long screw diver under the tap handle. Gently level the screwdriver to put upward pressure on the bottom of the handle. Work your way around the handle on all sides. Once you've gone around it several times, it should pop off the spindles. A bit of WD40 sprayed where the Hot button was wouldn't hurt either.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much MitchellMc

it was a brute but finally shifted😀👍

Nice work @Schmikell! Great Sunday arvo win!

Mitchell

14178DDB-2F62-4177-8FC2-797C03D0BB85.jpeg

 Taking this out is giving me gip..Maybe I could use a long socket to get it started..Have dosed it with Dw40..

What have you tried so far to remove it, @Schmikell? The correct tool for a non-seized spindle is a tube tap spanner. However, if the spindle is locked in place, it won't do the job. When I don't need to access the nut in a wall recess, I go straight to an adjustable wrench. If the spindle is still giving me grief, I'll give the end of the spanner a light and sharp tappity tap with a hammer to try and break the spindle free. If it doesn't break free, don't start whacking it, as you'll damage the plumbing.

Let me know how you go.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell.That’s about what I tried .Not Budging.So don’t want to go further as you say and damage the pipe work.Thanks for advice.Will get a plumber..👍

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove a tap handle?

Ask for a discount as you've done half the work for them. 😃

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects