Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to patch laundry wall and prep for tiling?

TaylerMayd
Having an Impact

How to patch laundry wall and prep for tiling?

Hi guys,

I’m currently renovating my laundry and doing as much of the demo and prep work I can myself. The plumber has moved the taps, but to patch the hole in the wall can I use gyprock or should it definitely be villaboard? The sink cabinet will be installed here and there will be a tiled splashback.

Re the splashback tiling. I have removed the old tiles and scraped off the old adhesive. Do I need to use a filler and sand before the new tiles are laid here? Or is the surface ok as is?

Also, how do I prep the torn sheeting next to the door frame before the base cabinet is installed?

thanks

IMG_8080.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to patch laundry wall and prep for tiling

Hello @TaylerMayd 

Thanks for sharing your question about patching up your laundry wall. One way to find out what is currently installed in your laundry wall is to measure its thickness. If the plasterboard is 10mm thick it is Gyprock CSR 2400 x 1200 x 10mm 2.88sqm Plasterboard RE, but if it is 6mm thick it is probably James Hardie 2400 x 1200 x 6mm 2.88m² Villaboard Lining - 2400 x 1200 x 6.

When cutting the repair board into shape, I suggest double checking the location of the tap holes on the board. I also recommend cutting it as close as possible to the shape being patched. Once you've cut it, you have the option of screwing the repair piece to the stud or gluing it in place. If you've cut it neatly there should be very little gap to fill with filler.

In regards to the torn sheeting next to the door, I suggest using a filler of your choice. Once you've repaired and it has cured, just make sure to sand it flat with sandpaper.

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - How to fix a hole in bathroom wall? by @Fragilebones.

Once you've finished your repairs, just a friendly reminder to check with your local council on the rules and regulations regarding waterproofing your laundry area. But if you have that listed in your plans then your well on your way to the next step of your renovation.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your laundry ready for tiling.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric, the exisiting sheeting is villaboard, not gyprock. But noting the measurements you provided that answers my question as the gyprock sheets would be too thick to fill the gap.

Can I use spakfilla on villaboard? Is there one you recommend for this purpose? I also have gyprock joint compound, not sure if that would work?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @TaylerMayd 

Thanks for letting me know the extra materials you have on hand. The gyprock joint compound should work nicely on the patch repair and the damage near the door. There is no need for any other fillers. 

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your laundry revamp.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects