Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay tile underlay in a toilet?

jazzimz
Just Starting Out

How to lay tile underlay in a toilet?

Hi, I have watched one of the nz bunnings videos on how to lay tile underlay in a shower and in the steps below it has a hint or reminder to not lay the underlay where the shower is going and the toilet. The shower makes sense but not the toilet. I thought you are supposed to tile before installing the toilet for cleaner finish. But if I don't put underlay there then how can I tile there and also it wouldn't be sitting flush with the rest of the floor.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to lay tile underlay in a toilet?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jazzimz. It's wonderful to have you join us and thank you for sharing your question about laying tile underlay.

The video you saw was a general guide on laying tile underlay. Since we don't know what the plumbing situation is in your house, the installer has placed a provision for plumbing in that spot. However, it is perfectly alright to lay tile underlay at the spot of the toilet. I suggest speaking to your plumber and asking them if they need any gaps near the toilets outlet pipe. If the outlet pipe is on the wall no gap is necessary.

It sounds like a very interesting bathroom renovation. Any updates you can provide while building it would be much appreciated. If you have any other projects lined up please don't hesitate to share them. Our members would be more than happy to provide advice and information should you need it.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects