Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install suction cups in bathroom?

ventodimare
Building a Reputation

How to install suction cups in bathroom?

Hello,

I have bought bathroom caddy with 'easy to install' Suction cups. They  stick no longer than 24h and then they drop (with nothing placed on them). So I looked up in the internet and I've

20240107_115406.jpg

applied all the following tips:

0) instructions provided with the product

1) clean tiles with soap water

2) put the Suction cups in boiling water and then stick them to the tiles

3) use a tiny tad of vaseline on Suction cups 

I don't need to move the caddies, I was thinking: can I put some sort of waterproof glue on the cups?

There are so many waterproof glues on the market not sure what to get; also not sure whar would work.

Thank u!

20240107_115402.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: suction cup bathroom

Hi @ventodimare,

Is this one of our products? If so, I'd be happy to chat with the manufacturer about your issue.

I've had a similar issue in the past, and it turned out that my tiles had an ever so slight stipple to them, which caused the seal to be compromised and the suction cups not to work. I'd get around 24hrs then they'd fall down.

I'm a little suspicious about the direction to clean the surface with soapy water. Typically, that's the worst thing to do, as soap doesn't help with adhesion. Try cleaning the tile surface with alcohol instead. 

You could attempt to use a wetarea silicone to stick the cups to the tile.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello @MitchellMc no, it's not one of your products.

The alcohol option didn't work and neither the silicone option unfortunately.

Perhaps it's the overall quality of the product. 

Thanks a mil anyway!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ventodimare 

I have had a similar experience with suction cup cadies. I suggest trying this method. In the corner where you are trying to install it wipe the tiles with a paper towel sprayed with DIGGERS 125ml Isopropyl Alcohol. The tile must be totally dry and free from soap and scum.

Please don't use methylated spirits or other alcohol spirit brands that have additives in them as they leave a film on the tile. It has to be Isopropyl to completely dry off the surface.

The suction cups must be dry as well, make sure to use a lint free towel or wipe and make sure that it is absolutely dry. I now propose attaching the suction cups by first pushing it into the tile then turning the wheel to tighten it. Make sure you are far away from the grout line and that the suction cup is in the middle of the tile.

The acid test will be to leave it for 24 hours and if it fails, I suggest bringing it in for an exchange if you still have your docket.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Hello @EricL

@MitchellMc  it worked! 

Thank u both for the pointers.

My mistake was that I didn't use isopropyl alcohol the first time I wiped the tiles. With isopropyl the suction cups are doing an incredibly good job. The caddy has a big shampoo bottle in it and after 1 week it's holding strong. Thank you again to both!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ventodimare 

I'm glad you got your corner caddy working. One of the signs that water has entered the suction cups is your caddy will start to slowly go down. If that is the case, I recommend removing the suction cups and washing the tile and making sure to remove any soap scum or limescale that might have developed. 

Apply the isopropyl technique and firmly push the suction cups back to the wall again. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects