Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a washing machine with a capped pipe?

daven25
Growing in Experience

How to install a washing machine with a capped pipe?

What do I do here? Can I do it myself? New place, 'european laundry'. Should I buy a tap - turn off the water and attach it myself? I suppose a wash machine could attach straight to the hot pipe that currently has that metal cap on it (?) but a tap in between seems a better setup.

I'll be getting a new washer so I suppose leaving it to an installer is an option.

c6bf29f1-c80e-465b-a988-962515690b96.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Pipe capped. What to do re washing machine install?

Hi @daven25,

It's best to have an isolation valve in case the water needs to be quickly turned off due to a leak. This is considered plumbing work, so it requires a licensed plumber. It could be an idea to have the isolation valve on hand for when the installer arrives. If you're in luck, they might pop it on for you.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
daven25
Growing in Experience

Right, so basically a tap by another name. Thanks! Do I need to ascertain a size or is size/thread standard?

Do I really need a plumber to screw off a cap and screw on a valve though? Btw I've been advised by a handy friend to use thread tape to see that the valve tightens into an upright position. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's right, @daven25. A mini cistern cock is just a small tap. They come in 15mm, which suits the threaded outlet on the wall, but then the hose to your washing machine could either be 15mm or 20mm. It's more likely 20mm, but you can grab the multifit unit to cover both if you don't know.

In answer to your question about needing a plumber, according to regulations, yes, you do. As a D.I.Y. you can only really change a shower head, replace a washer in a tap, replace valve washers in a toilet cistern or install mains water irrigation systems in your backyard. Unfortunately, installing a tap falls just outside of those areas. I just like to make people aware of the regulations.

Thread tape's predominant role is to seal the thread so it doesn't leak; it also offers a level of adjustability as to where the rotation of the tap ends up.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects