Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix water damaged vanity drawers?

skottkite
Just Starting Out

How to fix water damaged vanity drawers?

IMG_5455.jpeg

Hi, would anyone know where I could begin in repairing these drawers that have suffered water damage? Any help appreciated 

IMG_5457.jpeg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: help with fixing water damage

Good Evening @skottkite 

Rats and a few other words 😕  A couple of questions tho first up to help us along the path.

Do you know what the brand of drawers are?

Any chance of a photo of the inside of the draw and also the runner where it attaches to the faceplate?

Are the side runners damaged as well?

The dimensions may help out the Bunnings staff as well.

If its a Bunnings Kitchen (Kaboodle, not sure if there is another model they are using) you may be able to buy a replacement straight up.

First point Id probarly take the front panel imto Bunnings to the kitchen install area and if they cant then I would head straight for the special orders desk.

It looks like a vacummn sealed polyurethane piece (Its what I chose when I did my last kitchen as I loved the cleanliness and shiny design :smile: )

Having a look at the photos again, has the water issue been fixed or mitigated? As the door also is showing signs of expansion? The only thing I can think of that would cause the expansion is long term slow water. Can you throw a pic in here of the water source? :smile: Even if its just a watered potplant that dosnt like the water so much.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: help with fixing water damage

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @skottkite. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing water damaged drawers.

From your images, it appears that this is a bathroom vanity, so you would find it difficult to locate matching drawer fronts for replacement. Since the wood has begun to expand and has visible cracks, the repair options are fairly limited. You could consider painting over the cracks, as that might disguise the look of them. 

As @Dave-1 mentioned, this type of damage is due to long-term exposure to water, which is common in a bathroom. Depending on the age of the vanity, it might be worth considering replacing it, but it would certainly be worth taking the drawer front into your local Bunnings store to check out replacement options.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects