Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix or replace steel door frames?

CB123
Finding My Feet

How to fix or replace steel door frames?

Hi all,

I've got steel door frames throughout my flat. I don't like them. The ones in the bathroom do show minor rust spots which I think are just symptoms of age and previous residents not letting in as much airflow as I do.

I've seen a couple of posts about dealing with the rust and encasing the frames in timber mouldings.

My question is, would it be better, in terms of expense and longevity, to just remove the steel frames and replace them with timber or thoroughly remediate the rust and cover the edges with timber mouldings?

Many thanks,

CB

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Steel door frame

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @CB123. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about steel door frames.

Expense-wise it would be exponentially cheaper to repair the minor rust spots on the steel frames rather than replace them. It's not a simple task to remove and replace steel door frames, and you'll need to engage the services of a professional to do so. You'll most likely need to replace all the doors, too, to suit the new width of the timber jambs. Depending on the number of door frames you'd change, the costs could amount to several thousand dollars. Replacement should only really be considered if the rust is so bad that it's compromised the frame or its walls have rusted through. However, if the cost is within your budget and you really don't like the look of them, you could certainly get a few quotes on the work to see whether it would be feasible.

Here are some previous discussions on the topic you might like to read through: How do I fix a rusted door frame next to the shower by @Chrissy15 and How to paint rusty metal door frames? by @LivMitch

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Steel door frame

Thanks Mitchell! 

That settles it. Rust remediation and timber wall surrounds it is.

I am replacing the swing doors with barn door sliders, so the jamb size wouldn't really be an issue, but even if I could afford the materials (I'm pretty handy and well tooled, if much slower than professionals!) I couldn't justify the expense when the frames are perfectly serviceable.

(Two of the three frames I was considering replacing for reference)

IMG20240326132938.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects