Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix off centre drain waste pipe?

becka1
Getting Established

How to fix off centre drain waste pipe?

I installed a prefab shower base and required to concrete it into place, unfortunately the protruding drain waste pipe is now off center to the shower base waste hole. 

any suggestions as to how to install the pipe flange for the grid to fix to 

bathroom.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix off centre drain waste pipe?

Hi @becka1,

Is there any flex to the pipe or has it been concreted around? Was it centered before the concrete was positioned? Are you able to access under the subfloor to re-align the pipe?

Provided it was centred before the concrete was poured, which pushed it over, you might be able to delicately chip away the concrete next to the pipe, being very careful not to damage it, allowing you to re-centre it. 

Let me tag a couple of our knowledgeable members, @Dave-1 and @Nailbag, to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @becka1 

Mmmmm How were you intending to trim the waste pipe down? The reason I ask is if you have a way to trim it below that base of the shower pan then maybe a flexible coupling could be used? I am thinking of something along these lines Wall, Tank & Gully Seals That said, generally for insurance purposes you need a wet area such as a bathroom signed off with some sort of certificate. I would probarly be talking to whomever you are going to get the bathroom signed off and see whats needed first.

Dave

becka1
Getting Established

Can definitely be cut down below the rim of the shower base as it is PVC and still accessible. Sounds like a great solution using flexible coupling. 

becka1
Getting Established

thank you, it is concreted in but I might be able to chip some concrete away, it was tight when I installed the shower base but is a little flexible 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @becka1 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from our members. I totally agree with the possibility of using a flexible coupling or an offset pipe connector. I recommend checking the space available under the tray to give you an idea of what kind of fitting you can use.

Generally, a Holman 100 x 50mm PVC DWV Taper Level Invert is used under the shower tray. But in this instance, you'll need to find a smaller fitting that can pass through from the top of the shower tray. I recommend having a look at the Flexible Plumbdinger 40mm Tacron C/P Waste and see if its compatible with your shower tray.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects