Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix dribble into toilet bowl after half flush?

Lances
Just Starting Out

How to fix dribble into toilet bowl after half flush?

We have a ceramic Caroma toilet cistern, 414285 type 85.

Recently after half flush there is a continual slow flow of water into the pan.

Surprisingly, this is fixed by pressing the full flush button.

What can be done to just get the half flush to operate without the need to press the full flush later?

It does not seem like a seal problem, but as if the mechanical system is sticking.

Thanks,               Lances

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix dribble into toilet bowl after half flush?

Hello @Lances 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your toilet.

As time passes the plastic flushing parts inside your toilet start to develop calcium deposits. It is a very thin layer, but it is enough to make the plastic sliding parts stick together. I suspect that this is what is happening to your flushing valve.

I propose removing the top cover of your toilet cistern and taking a picture of your flushing mechanism. I recommend bringing it to the store so that you can get a similar flush from the plumbing isle. You can then replace your old flushing valve with a new one.  

In the meantime, I suggest pressing the half flush button several times in succession to loosen up the parts. Do not press the full flush just the half flush. This is a temporary remedy as the calcium will keep growing on the plastic parts. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects