Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a leaking toilet cistern?

johnhb
Just Starting Out

How to fix a leaking toilet cistern?

We have a 20 (?) year old toilet that works like a rocket apart from one thing; after flushing, it leaks/ makes a leaking sound. In other places we’ve lived, it was simply a matter of bending the METAL arm of the ballcock which instantly solved the problem. With this one of course it’s all PLASTIC so would potentially snap if any adjustments were made. I have noticed- as per the photo- there is a black plastic thing at the end of the arm that looks like it could potentially be moved? Yes- I know we could open our wallet and pour money into buying a new toilet, etc. etc. but that feels like an unnecessary step given I suspect there is probably a much simpler solution. Second photo included to give the ‘big picture’..

Adjustable? If so,how?Adjustable? If so,how?

johnhb_0-1662330049192.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a leaking toilet cistern?

Hello @johnhb

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thank you for sharing your question about how to fix your leaking cistern.

I've placed some directions below on how to disassemble the inlet valve. You'll need to use the Kinetic Assorted Ballcock Washers, specifically the white washer and one of the black rubber seals. Once you've disassembled the inlet valve you'll find a piston inside the assembly. The white washer goes on the piston and the rubber skirt must face down.  In the middle of the piston is the black washer, the old one must be removed and the new one installed.

Re-assemble the filling valve in the reverse order, please make sure to test the unit before you cover the cistern. Should the inlet valve fail or is too old to be repaired, I suggest replacing it with a Fluidmaster Bottom Entry Toilet Inlet Valve. It's compatible with your toilet cistern and is fully adjustable. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JDE
Becoming a Leader

Personally If you are going to have to remove it to replace the rubbers Id replace it with a Fix-a-loo that way everything is new. Cost about $25 at Bunnnings. Turn of water, flush tiolet, disconnect hose from bottom of cistern, undo bottom nut remove existing filling valve and put new one in place. Switch water back on and adjust water level. Takes longer to get part than to do job. JDE

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JDE

Thanks for offering that other option about their inlet valve. Let me tag @johnhb to make sure they see your recommendation. All they have to do now is to decide if they want to repair or replace.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects