Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix Gainsborough door latch?

Diana100
Just Starting Out

How to fix Gainsborough door latch?

Can I still fix a door latch that is not working? Based on the photos, is this broken or can still be fixed? Thanks! 

IMG_2560.jpeg

IMG_2561.jpeg

IMG_2562.jpeg

   

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix Gainsborough door latch?

Hi @Diana100,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is wonderful to have you with us.

Can I ask you to describe the fault? It is hard to tell from these photos what the issue might be.

Is it possible that the spindle is no longer rotating? Or that the latch is getting stuck when trying to retract?

Some further information will help our knowledgeable members to offer advice.

Jacob

Hi JacobZ,

The latch is stuck so the door currently doesn’t close. Thanks for the help! 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Diana100,

I would remove the two screws from the faceplate so you can remove the whole mechanism from the door.

If you test it outside of the door and it works, it's possible that a screw is over tightened. I know with many door locks that I've installed and serviced, that very minor misalignments and over tightened screws are often times the culprit.

If you find that once the mechanism is out, you still have no luck, you could try spraying some WD-40 into the mechanism and rotating the spindle back and forth a few times. It's possible some dirt may have gotten into the mechanism and is blocking things up a bit. This should help to clear any debris from the inside of the mechanism.

If it's still not working after this, you may need to replace the door handle all together. Have a look at this helpful guide on how to install a door handle for some guidance:

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects