Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean shower sealant? Does it need to be replaced?

ohsheetson
Just Starting Out

How to clean shower sealant? Does it need to be replaced?

Hello

I have some dark areas in my shower's sealant which I assume is mold

The areas are dark without flash but with flash appear less dark.

I am unsure if this is mould that cannot be cleaned due to forming behind the sealant

I am wondering if I should replace the seal with Selley's No Mould Resistant Shower Sealant (https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-290ml-no-mould-resistant-silicone-sealant-white_p0147104

I have been using mold cleaner and brushing vigorously to no avail.

Can an expert please advise of what I should to do clean my shower's sealant or if it should be replaced? 

Thanks very much

20231014_140642.jpg20231014_140649.jpg20231014_140711.jpg20231014_140720.jpg20231014_140758.jpg20231014_140802.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to clean shower sealant? Does it need to be replaced?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ohsheetson. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about rejuvenating silicone.

As silicone ages, not only can it become stained, but it can also yellow. In your case, there might not be any build-up that can be scrubbed away, but more so stained and aged silicone. Unfortunately, most of what you've pictured appears to be silicon gaskets from a shower screen, not caulked silicone that could be removed. You could potentially apply silicone over them to cover their unsightliness, but removing and replacing the gaskets is likely impossible unless they could be purchased from the shower screen manufacturer.

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to apply silicone sealant. You might also like to check out this Best Advice article on How do you remove mould from silicone grout?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects