Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to change old taps for ceramic disc taps?

CliveV
Getting Established

How to change old taps for ceramic disc taps?

I am conversant with UK plumbing but the different plumbing fittings in Australia have me stumped. For example, I want to change the old taps in the bathroom, that are dripping, with ceramic disk taps. The problem is that I cant remove the tap body shrouds to gain access to the tap body and I'm reluctant to force things I don't understand.  I believe that there might have been a problem in the past because the shrouds show signs of having been attacked with stillsons.

Because there are no isolating valves the only way I can turn the water off is by using the garden stop-cock by the meter. If I inadvertently damage anything,the water has to stay off until an emergency plumber calls. Reluctantly I am going to have to call in a professional plumber

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to change old taps for ceramic disc taps?

Hi @CliveV,

That's fairly standard for baths and showers; the only isolation valve is on the meter at the front of the property. You might find this step-by-step guide useful: How to replace a tap washer

If you're not confident, I suggest that enlisting the services of a plumber would be a wise move.  

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CliveV
Getting Established

Thanks, Mitchell. You have confirmed what I need to do. Are you allowed to recommend plumbers on this forum?

Cheers, Clive

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Given that it wouldn't be likely our members could recommend a plumber close to your location @CliveV,  I suggest utilising services such as Hipages or Airtasker to locate a professional.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CliveV
Getting Established

Thanks, again.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects