Workshop
Ask a question

How do I replace lift-off hinges on a steel framed door?

paulrmb
Just Starting Out

How do I replace lift-off hinges on a steel framed door?

Hi.  One of my hinges has snapped and I have no idea where to get a replacement hinge.  

It is basically a bathroom door with a lift hinge.  The steel frame has the hinge welded on.  I need the part that fixes to the doorDoor hinge.  Mine is brokenDoor hinge. Mine is broken

frame hingeframe hinge

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I get hold of one of these hinges that hook on to a welded hinge on a steel framed toi...

Hi @paulrmb,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it's great to have you with us.

These hinges are often referred to as lift off hinges. You will have to match up the size of the hinge, and the handedness in order to replace them. Unfortunately, it is not possible to replace only half, you will have to purchase the full hinge and have an unused part.

Measure the height and width of the plate as well as the diameter of the pin as this will be important to match up as closely as possible. With these measurements, head in store and match them up with a suitable replacement, it would even be handy to remove the piece from the door and bring it with you.

Let me know if this helps or if you require further assistance.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects