Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I clean behind and under this tub?

Diytrying
Finding My Feet

How do I clean behind and under this tub?

There is black mould I can't get to behind the tub. I tried lifting it to get at it from underneath but it hits the faucet and is attached by the drain. Help please! 

20230304_144039.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I clean behind/under this tub?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Diytrying. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about cleaning behind and under a tub.

I just wanted to preface that these tubs are not designed to be moved or lifted. It's only been the last several years, through advancements in manufacturing, that they've become light enough to move. Prior to that, the tub would have been too heavy to move, and any debris or mould under it would not have been accessible. Not really a helpful statement, but I think you are ahead of the rest in being able to move the tub at all.

Be very careful when moving it around as you could damage the outlet pipe. If you are able to chock the bottom up with some wedges, then you might be able to flood the area underneath with a mixture of bleach and water. This will do a good job of killing the mould. You then need to try and scrub the area underneath to remove buildup. Ideally, you'll want to use a device with a very low profile. I have the Sabco XL Total Microfibre Mop With Antibacterial Wet Pad, and it can lay almost flat. This would be an excellent tool for getting in the small gap under the tub and scrubbing down the floor beneath.

If you can't access behind the bath, I'd suggest considering a flexible duster like this Mr Clean Microfibre Duster. It might still be difficult to access, but at least you'd have a flexible head. If you were to shorten the pole and stick your arm down one of those back corners, you might be able to reach across to the middle of the bath. 

On a side note, my wife is cheering you on and totally sympathises with your situation.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How do I clean behind/under this tub?

Thank you I shall give it a go!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects