Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. light fittings

Cocoplum
Building a Reputation

D.I.Y. light fittings

DIY Pendant Lights: Brighten Up Your Space on a Budget!

Hello hello, DIY enthusiasts! I want to share our fun adventure in making these awesome pendant lights with my amazing mum. Disclaimer: She's the sewing pro here – I'm just the cheerleader! Hot glue would also work but DIYing with mum is more fun.

DIY pendant lights that won't break the bank. Thanks to my mum's sewing skills, our space is now lit up in style. Give it a try, and let your creativity shine!

see full reno on cocoplum Cocoplum Instagram 

Materials

Bunnings DIY suspension kit

linen

old pendant lights

20230907_122517.jpg

Tools

scissors

sewing machine

Steps

Step 1

Here's what we did:

Treasure Hunt: First, we hit up Salvos and scored big – 5 old pendant lights for just $10! Talk about a deal.

Step 2

Material Magic:  Next stop, Spotlight for some 100% linen fabric. You can choose any fabric that suits your style, but we were vibing with linen. It cost us a bit, but it's worth every penny! 

Step 3

Suspension Kit Score: Then, off to Bunnings for a DIY Pendant Light Suspension Kit, which set us back only $14.90. It's a steal!

Step 4

Template Time: We used one of the old pendant lights as a template. It's as easy as tracing around it – no rocket science involved!

Step 5

Sew or Mom to the Rescue: Now, this is where my mom's sewing skills came to the rescue (I told you, I'm no pro). She stitched up our linen masterpiece, and it looked fabulous!

DJI_20230223_134002_134.jpg

Step 6

Get Creative: Don't be afraid to get creative with your designs. You can go wild with patterns or keep it simple and elegant – it's your choice!

Step 7

Budget-Friendly Brilliance: Sometimes, the best ideas come when you're low on cash. These pendant lights are proof that creativity thrives on a budget.

Step 8

Soft Glow: The soft light that linen gives off is pure magic. It adds a cozy vibe to any space, and we're in love!

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: D.I.Y. light fittings

Wow! To the whole bathroom!  👍

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good afternoon @Cocoplum 

I came to have a look at the pendants :smile: Then was distracted by your sink! Far out that is beautiful!

I have considered and will make my own pendants but sewing skills id have to say are poor :)Ive also never been sure on what material I should use. LED's dont get particulary hot so it does expand the range of materials and seeing your light fittings I think it has pushed the idea into practice!

Nice work and nice bathroom!

Dave

Cocoplum
Building a Reputation

Hi @Noyade 

Thank you so much. Bathroom design is my fav. Not as complicated as kitchen but the impact on the overall home design is massive. So glad you like it. There are 2 more bathroom designs, coming up soon.

Cocoplum
Building a Reputation

@Dave-1 Thank you so much for your kind words. Made my day. This vanity is my company's import from Turkish marble mines and handcarved. Truly an artistic piece. You have great taste. And if you want one for yourself, I have one extra similar :smile:

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Cocoplum 

lol Thank you and would love it... problem is my bathroom is maybe an early 80's style and isnt slated to be renovated fully for years. It will get half a reno as I am itching to try the tile paint idea but still it wouldnt do justice to that sink! :smile: 

Dave

Cocoplum
Building a Reputation

@Dave-1 You have got style! I am sure you will come up with something special for your bathroom reno with min cost. It is nice to invest in these special pieces but designing/creating something special is not about designer pieces. Paint can make a massive difference. All the best and let us know if you need any brainstorming

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Cocoplum 

I was thinking the same thing as @Dave-1 and was just going to look at the light fittings. What a fantastic bathroom set up, an in-floor spa tub and a solid freestanding basin. The linen light fixture adds the finishing touch to your beautiful shower area. 

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Cocoplum
Building a Reputation

Hi @EricL 

Thank you so much. Here is a before photo

DSC01670.JPG

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @Cocoplum 

What a difference! Now its definently got style all of its own :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects