Workshop
Ask a question

How to change in-wall shower washers & hand basin spindle?

Steamer
Finding My Feet

How to change in-wall shower washers & hand basin spindle?

Had replaced the washers in the shower previously, Including cleaning up the seat in wall, but did not last long, So i am thinking  trying the Hydroseal Tap seat and hopefully this does the job.   Plus have thought about changing the Spindles to the ceramic disc, Half turn type., I have read that these can be a bit noisy,  ( in what way i dont understand)  I take it these type of spindles dont need washers, and the disc lets water through it like Ball Cock taps.

Any input would be appreciated.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Changing In wall shower washers & Hand Basin spindle

Hi @Steamer,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it's brilliant that you have joined us.

Both of the options you've provided should be adequate for the purposes you've described.

You might like to check out the previous thread Sink Taps, which discusses some similar issues.

I might also tag some of our helpful members to see if they have input or guidance to give, @Noyade @Dave-1 @redracer01 @Nailbag.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Jacob

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Afternnoon @Steamer 

"but did not last long"

In what way, may I ask?

Well, i used the seating tool, got bed all cleaned up and looked good, New washer, and lasted a couple months and shower dripping again.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Steamer,

Allow me to tag @Noyade so they are made aware of your response.

Jacob

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Howdy @Steamer 

I am wondering what type of washers you used after you reseated the bed? I have used the tap seat before and it worked well for me, I have also used a reseater tool tho really didnt like the idea of removing any of the base brass. That alos worked well.

Dave

I tried the cone rubber type, also a nylon flat washer type

Ok, well have reamed out the seats in Shower in wall taps, then fitted the Hydroseal Stainless new seats. Then decided to give the 1/2 turn ceramic disc spindles.  So far so good, Fingers crossed i have permanently fixed it.   

Tomorrow i will tackle the hand basin taps.

Thankyou for everyone's input. was appreciated.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@Steamer 

I used these for my Grandmother who had arthritis, they worked a dream but did have a lot shorter life then normal flat washers.

Dave

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Steamer,

Glad to hear you've had some success, let's hope that it's a permanent fix.

Don't hesitate to reach out if you need further assistance.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects