Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you put a top coat over White Knight laminate paint?

richbathroom
Just Starting Out

Can you put a top coat over White Knight laminate paint?

Hi there,

I am planning on revamping an existing bathroom by painting over tiles and the original laminate cupboard and benchtop.

From what I researched I can use White Night primer & paint from both tiles and cupboards and even the benchtop,

My question is that, I want to protect the benchtop with an epoxy top coat? I know that Bunnings has a product "Protite Glass Coat Kit" can this product be used on painted laminate? The features on the information sheet does not mention laminated coated timber and the in the video he is using timber?

I was thinking that my process for the benchtop should be as follows:

• obviously prep, sand & clean the surface 
  • then apply the White Night tile & laminte primer
  • then apply the White Night tile & laminate paint
  • then apply the Protite Glass Coat

Also, how can I use the Protite Glass Coat on the 30cm edges of the benchtop along with towel rails? And do I need to remove the basin? 

I have attached a photo so you can better understand the project. 

Any help or suggetions you can provide would extremely helpful or am I being too ambitious? 😬

bathroom.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you put a top coat over White Knight laminate paint?

Hello @richbathroom 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about painting your vanity. 

This is an excellent project to be undertaking. I'm sorry, but I can't advise using Protite 750ml Glass Coat Kit. It might look good at the start, but it might delaminate the following day, unfortunately it is difficult to predict how the Protite will react to the White Knight painting system and vice versa.

The good news however is that the White Knight set has a clear coating system. The White Knight 1L Clear Bench Top Protective Coating provides a tough, protective clear coating. Plus, you can apply the clear coat on the edge of the benchtop including the towel rails.

In regards to the basin there is no need to remove it, but the silicone edging will need to be removed and the basin masked before you begin painting.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: White Knight Laminate Paint

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects