Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can i connect a garden hose to a washing machine?

infelicity
Just Starting Out

Can i connect a garden hose to a washing machine?

Hi, where I live I am on tank water. There are pumps in the tanks and they create good water pressure when using taps and the hose etc. 

I have a washing machine set up in the shed for the dog blankets and towels etc. however there is no tap there so I have to use a hose to fill it with water. Which really messes with the cycles. 
is there a way to connect a hose to the back of the washing machine so it can fill that way and I don’t have to stand there the whole time and that would then enable to wash and rinse cycles to progress as normal? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can i connect a garden hose to a washing machine?

Hello @infelicity 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about attaching your garden hose to your washing machine.

The easiest way to attach your garden hose to your washing machine is to use your existing washing machine inlet hose and attach a Nylex 12mm Brass Sprinkler Adaptor. I also suggest using Kinetic 12mm x 10m White Standard Thread Seal on the brass adaptor to prevent leaks. 

Now if your garden hose has a standard quick clip-on fitting, you'll be able to connect the washing machine hose to the garden hose end. However, if your garden hose has a different fitting, I suggest changing it with a Pope 18mm Hose Connector

This is a temporary solution at best as eventually the garden fittings will wear out. Please note that even though the washing machine hose and the garden hose are joined together there is always the possibility of them coming apart due to the water pressure. It's therefore important that you keep an eye on the connection while the machine is going through its cycle. 

I would recommend taking into consideration having a washing machine tap installed in that area if possible. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects