Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I seal a stencilled concrete floor?

shannonelizabet
Just Starting Out

Can I seal a stencilled concrete floor?

As times are tight at the moment and I couldn't bear looking at our old toilet floor any longer I decided to stencil it. Having ground the concrete back and stencilled my pattern on should I now seal the concrete? Knowing this isn’t how it will be forever as we would eventually tile..when we win lotto. 

IMG_9494.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Can I seal a stencilled concrete floor?

Nice job on the stencil work @shannonelizabet.

Can you please tell us what paint you used? I imagine it might affect what advice our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts give you - that they will need to assess whether any products they recommend are compatible. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
shannonelizabet
Just Starting Out

Thanks Jason, didn’t think about paint type affecting advice on sealer.. I used white knights ultra pave. I had some left over from another project so thought why not! Thanks for your reply.  

Hi @shannonelizabet,

White Knight Ultra Pave does not require a sealer when used as a solid coating over concrete. However, using it for stencilling would be an off-label use, and you might find that it wears faster. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any clear sealers designed to be used over it or have been tested for compatibility. There is the Rust-Oleum 3.78L Clear Topcoat Concrete And Garage Floor Paint that you could consider using for your project, but once again, it's not specifically designed for use over stencilling, so results would be unknown. Alternatively, this might be a wait-and-see type of deal, and if it does deteriorate, you could re-stencil the area periodically.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects